Acme OWB Claims to Qualify for Tax Credit???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris D.

Hearth Supporter
Oct 11, 2009
Winchester, VA
Everytime I think I have heard of every OWB out there another one pops up. Anyone familiar with ACME OWB Furnances? They claim that they meet the efficiency standards required for the tax credit and can provide a letter to that affect. I am very skeptical of this since few OWB do meet the standard and this one does not even make any claims regarding gassification.

Went to Acme Furnace Company, Macon MO, web page did not find that claim. They do have a 10" high ash removal door.

Perhaps one of their dealers made that claim?

Who signed the letter? Road Runner???
:lol:
Gooserider

FYI,

Called Acme Furnace Company to ask what the efficiency of the OWB. The fella answered the phone, even though it was 7pm there. He told me that the stove was tested per the government requirements and that it passed (spec is 75%, per some defined test). He did not know off hand the value and did not respond when I asked if the stove was tested by a third party (but I can't imagine it not being tested that way).

Taken from a vendor's page:

How will the 75% efficiency requirement be determined?

A: The 75% efficiency requirement is measured
using the “lower heating value” of the wood.
Lower Heat Value (LHV, or net calorific value)
of wood does not include the energy required to
vaporize water. In Lower Heat Value, the energy
lost in vaporizing water is subtracted from the
calculation of efficiency, because this energy is
not intended to be recovered by the stove.

sgschwend said:
FYI,

Called Acme Furnace Company to ask what the efficiency of the OWB. The fella answered the phone, even though it was 7pm there. He told me that the stove was tested per the government requirements and that it passed (spec is 75%, per some defined test). He did not know off hand the value and did not respond when I asked if the stove was tested by a third party (but I can't imagine it not being tested that way).

Taken from a vendor's page:

How will the 75% efficiency requirement be determined?

A: The 75% efficiency requirement is measured
using the “lower heating value” of the wood.
Lower Heat Value (LHV, or net calorific value)
of wood does not include the energy required to
vaporize water. In Lower Heat Value, the energy

An astute person will read that statement and realize immediately why burning wood with a high moisture content is a waste.

the energy

maybe they should have come up with a better name for their company I mean How good did the acme brand work out for wile e coyote?
wileecoyote.jpg

Exactly, this is why I asked about who signed the letter in my earlier post... There was at least one of the RR cartoons where at the end, after being done in by an Acme product (as usual) Coyote was left dangling over the manual or packaging material that listed an "R. Runner" as CEO or equivalent - so presumably "R. Runner" could sign an EPA letter. %-P (Though I agree, Acme has to be one of the more unfortunate names for a company to choose, it's kind of like trying to run a legitimate internet business from Nigeria...)

Gooserider

I talked to a dealer yesterday and he said that the University of Missouri did the testing. The more I look into this brand; the more interested I am. It may not have all the bells and whistles but it looks like a solid build. It would be nice to hear from someone who has owned one other than Wiley Coyote.

I'd stay far away from a unit without a track record, a reliable web site, a valid label from the EPA for Phase II, etc.
http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/woodboilers.html

Sure, you COULD take a tax credit for a campfire with an old pot sitting on it, but it wouldn't be in the spirit of the thing. Our tax system is largely based on the honor system.

Just cracks me up, someone that has something to sell, calls the company ACME. ANYWAYS, I have a good accountant that handles my business stuff/questions. But I've asked him many times(knowing the answer) "Can i write this off?" His response..."You can write anything off you want to, but I'll only back you up on whats right." Yes the honor system is what we have.

The simple answer is to call the company and ask them for a copy of the Manufacturers Tax Credit Cerificate as required by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. If they say...Whaaaaaa?????? just hang up cause it ain't there. If they are truly certified they will know what you are asking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.