Advice on what stove and what KW ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GarrisonHall

Jan 3, 2020
Orkney
Hi,

We have purchased an older stone property (1888) and are looking at putting a multifuel stove in to the lounge. It will be a double height room and have open stairs to the side. The room is approximately 8 metres long x 6 metres wide x 8 metres tall.

We will be having some insulation in the room and windows are double glazed.

We are having an airsource to water (high temp) put in, we would like just 1 large old cast iron radiator and to use the stove to add further heat.

We have had all the planning and are just about to ask builders to quote to renovate the building, having read lots of threads about stoves being to low kw or too high, was hoping someone could give some advice, we had a multifuel stove without a boiler in our last property, but this was a 1970's bungalow with normal ceiling height.

Any advice people can give, was thinking a fire belly 3 might be OK, but that is a bit of a guess?

Any info needed to help give me advice, please ask away.

Hi,

We have purchased an older stone property (1888) and are looking at putting a multifuel stove in to the lounge. It will be a double height room and have open stairs to the side. The room is approximately 8 metres long x 6 metres wide x 8 metres tall.

We are having an airsource to water (high temp) put in, we would like just 1 large old cast iron radiator and to use the stove to add further heat.

We have had all the planning and are just about to ask builders to quote to renovate the building, having read lots of threads about stoves being to low kw or too high, was hoping someone could give some advice, we had a multifuel stove without a boiler in our last property, but this was a 1970's bungalow with normal ceiling height.

Any advice people can give, was thinking a fire belly 3 might be OK, but that is a bit of a guess?

Welcome. You posted this in the Classic Wood Stove section. I suggest to post it in the Hearth Room, and you will see faster responses.

Reactions: GarrisonHall
Heat will convect up the stairwell. The very high ceilings make this a high volume space (13.5k cu ft). You will do well with a large stove in the 16+KW range. If the stove is convective by design there isn't a need to go to the expense and complication of a water jacket and attached radiator, but it may help distribute heat at the floor level. If no radiator then a ceiling fan or two can be used to circulate the hot air that is going to want to stratify up high and then go upstairs.

FireBelly does not say very much about how clean or efficient their fires are nor if there is a blower or water jacket option. Large stoves are more common here. In the states I could point out several options, but I am not familiar with the best choice in the UK or France. I would keep looking at large stoves sold in the region. If a boiler is a necessity, I see that Arada makes stoves thus equipped.

Last edited:
Hi,

I just had a whole thread in the green room where we tried unsuccessfully to find an air to high temp water product in the U.S.

Who makes yours? I want to call 'em!

Also, @Ashful knows all the things about heating haunted castles with woodstoves.

Heat will convect up the stairwell. The very high ceilings make this a high volume space (13.5k cu ft). You will do well with a large stove in the 16+KW range. If the stove is convective by design there isn't a need to go to the expense and complication of a water jacket and attached radiator, but it may help distribute heat at the floor level. If no radiator then a ceiling fan or two can be used to circulate the hot air that is going to want to stratify up high and then go upstairs.

FireBelly does not say very much about how clean or efficient their fires are nor if there is a blower or water jacket option. Large stoves are more common here. In the states I could point out several options, but I am not familiar with the best choice in the UK or France. I would keep looking at large stoves sold in the region. If a boiler is a necessity, I see that Arada makes stoves thus equipped.

Many thanks, ceiling fans could work fine, that is the highest point to the ceiling as it pitched, will be lower in the middle. Have seen a couple of 16kw stoves without a boiler which would be the preferred option.

I just had a whole thread in the green room where we tried unsuccessfully to find an air to high temp water product in the U.S.

Who makes yours? I want to call 'em!

Also, @Ashful knows all the things about heating haunted castles with woodstoves.
Daikin 16kw High temp air to water. Daikin seems to have a good name.

Reactions: jetsam
Exterior wall and ceiling insulation will play a large role. Exposed stone will pull a lot of heat out of a room.

Reactions: Ashful
We will be having insulation on the inside of all exterior walls, I am assuming the same will go for the roof as the local council have been strict on the conversion ensuring that a lot of stuff meets strict standards, but I will look into this.

Any alternatives to a ceiling fan as not very keen on the look, is there such a thing that is a small box that could be hidden behind beams or somehow integrated into the ceiling that would do the same job?

Maybe try running the Daikin on recirculate and see how that works. If not, a system could be built that has a duct run between the ceiling and floor level. Warm air could be extracted from above and blown down low. The duct could be enclosed to hide it. The main issue will be noise with this arrangement. One will need to be careful selecting the blower fan for the quietest possible. Ceiling fans with their large blades move a lot of air, silently. A stove with a blower on it can help too.

Maybe try running the Daikin on recirculate and see how that works. If not, a system could be built that has a duct run between the ceiling and floor level. Warm air could be extracted from above and blown down low. The duct could be enclosed to hide it. The main issue will be noise with this arrangement. One will need to be careful selecting the blower fan for the quietest possible. Ceiling fans with their large blades move a lot of air, silently. A stove with a blower on it can help too.

We will be on a Daikin air to water, we have an open landing so are now thinking we could get an angled fan in the corner of the landing so not a visual problem and possibly another fan further along the open landing, both would be 4 metres across and 8 metres higher than the stove. Not sure a duct run would be easy or cheap. As not in the lounge we think it would be fine to get large blades, will see how quiet we can get, also another thing I didn't think of. Fan on top or even something built behind to push air out is something we can look into also.

So glad I came across this forum.

I heat two floors with a wood stove. The stove room connects to a foyer via a large open archway, and the stairwell is completely open. I don't need any fans to move air- the open design allows convection to do that.

If you don't have a bunch of walls in the way, you may be surprised how good a space heater is at heating two levels. (And if you do have walls and narrow doorways and an enclosed stairway, you may be surprised how bad a space heater is at heating two levels... ;lol )

Treatment of those stone walls and 1880’s windows will be two of the biggest factors in what is needed, here. Old windows can be stormed to reduce radiant losses, but will still usually be drafty by comparison to modern standards. Exposed stone, or even original plaster on stone, can soak up a lot of the radiant heating given off by a wood stove.

On the ceiling fan, yes... it will be enormously helpful with your 25 foot ceiling height. I haven’t seen any photos, but just going from my mental image of exposed-beam 1880s construction open from ground floor to attic, I’d be looking at something steam punk, Victorian industrial.

1B40CD58-8AF7-4EC8-8897-2AB1BD8D1B8B.jpeg

Treatment of those stone walls and 1880’s windows will be two of the biggest factors in what is needed, here. Old windows can be stormed to reduce radiant losses, but will still usually be drafty by comparison to modern standards. Exposed stone, or even original plaster on stone, can soak up a lot of the radiant heating given off by a wood stove.

On the ceiling fan, yes... it will be enormously helpful with your 25 foot ceiling height. I haven’t seen any photos, but just going from my mental image of exposed-beam 1880s construction open from ground floor to attic, I’d be looking at something steam punk, Victorian industrial.

View attachment 255167

Okay, doesn't the engineer in you rebel at the very sight of the big gear at the bottom that isn't connected to anything? Right next to the foot of bicycle chain doing the job the gear SHOULD be doing? ;lol

Lol... yes. ;lol But I was in a rush, and it was the first photo I found on google that conveyed the aesthetic I was describing.

The engineer part wants the repurposed variable pitch airplane prop that he can change pitch on at will. Connected to a remote control...

Reactions: Ashful