Am I screwed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Kind of looks like a failed shop class assignment...
I've always felt the same. Woodstock makes some ugly-ass stoves, but they work well, and their customer support is fantastic.

Reactions: webby3650
Not quite the look I’m going for. Appreciate the suggestion.

So I have a hearth company coming out in a couple of weeks to quote the job. Thanks to this forum, I was able to intelligently communicate my wants, and the expected obstacles. They’re a reputable place. I can update this thread afterward with costs. Might help folks in the future. Also might have some follow up questions.

Thanks again everyone.

Reactions: bholler and Ashful
I really don't like the look of those stoves. But there are tons of great looking stoves on the market
Ok. There are many good looking stoves on the market. And there are some not so good looking......Blaze King comes to mind. Excuse my biased opinion but my ugly BK Princess beats this (known to be an amazing heater) to shame in the looks dept. Woodstock product design team take notice......

Im pretty sure all the other wood stock stoves are much much better looking.

At least to my eye they are. I have never been a huge fan of the IS. Tho I think some of the bk stoves look horrid too. lol Some look great tho.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Im pretty sure all the other wood stock stoves are much much better looking.

At least to my eye they are. I have never been a huge fan of the IS. Tho I think some of the bk stoves look horrid too. lol Some look great tho.
Horrid? None are horrid, Just not beautiful... I’ve gone through the pretty stove stage, then I got a BK . Good looks won’t heat my house for 24 hours on a load!

As my aging cousin dryly remarked looking over an incredible vista in upstate NY - Ya can't eat the view.
That said, neither an IS nor Princess will make it into our house. Both would be visually contradictory and aesthetically incongruous.

It's too bad because at heart it's a good design that performs well. There is a stripped-down, no-frills option in black that looks tolerable.

Reactions: SpaceBus
As my aging cousin dryly remarked looking over an incredible vista in upstate NY - Ya can't eat the view.
That said, neither an IS nor Princess will make it into our house. Both would be visually contradictory and aesthetically incongruous.
Here my ogre Princess sits in a very conspicuous place that most people do not notice her. Until they are coming back from 3hr walk in the woods in mid Jan.

Here my ogre Princess sits in a very conspicuous place that most people do not notice her. Until they are coming back from 3hr walk in the woods in mid Jan.
Exactly, context is important.

And that said we are a long way away from the OP's question unless he has decided to locate a freestanding stove elsewhere in the house.

Exactly, context is important.

And that said we are a long way away from the OP's question unless he has decided to locate a freestanding stove elsewhere in the house.
Indeed.
Very nice stone work in his new house.

Yes, looks like a beautiful home.
FrankDog what is the opening height of the fireplace? How large an area would a stove there be heating?

Bust it out and replace with something that'll heat. You may be able to demo the rock and fireplace yourself if you're up to it. Once you remove the prefab, it's just a box, then finish it as an alcove, and put in a free standing install. Or, if you go with an insert or whatever, some of those with shrouds may cover the rock removal and you can minimize the redo.

Bust it out and replace with something that'll heat. You may be able to demo the rock and fireplace yourself if you're up to it. Once you remove the prefab, it's just a box, then finish it as an alcove, and put in a free standing install. Or, if you go with an insert or whatever, some of those with shrouds may cover the rock removal and you can minimize the redo.
You absolutely can't tear out the prefab and put an insert In the framed space

Reactions: Ashful
Yes, no fireplace insert, though he might be calling a ZC fireplace an insert. It happens commonly. Even some manufacturers do it.

Beauty is only skin deep . . . but yeah . . . chalk me up as not-a-fan of Woodstock's IS . . . then again, there are only a few designs I like from Woodstock as I find many of their other designs to be a bit too ornate for my tastes. But if everyone everywhere liked the same thing . . . we'd all be drinking Moxie and eating red hot dogs, right?

Incidentally . . . am I the only person with a burning curiosity as to what the blurred personal artwork is? I keep imaging it to either be a velveteen painting of Elvis, a pic of dogs playing poker or a nude of Frank reclining in a 1870s sofa while wearing a robe and looking a lot like Hugh Hefner. :) ;)

Incidentally . . . am I the only person with a burning curiosity as to what the blurred personal artwork is? I keep imaging it to either be a velveteen painting of Elvis, a pic of dogs playing poker or a nude of Frank reclining in a 1870s sofa while wearing a robe and looking a lot like Hugh Hefner. :) ;)

I was thinking he's an international art thief and it's a priceless painting from an elaborate heist.

Reactions: firefighterjake
My moneys on professional finger paint artist and its a nude of his significant other.

Or his significant udder
DImqxdlUQAA4AHC.jpg

Reactions: Ashful
LMAO!!!!

I am thinking of that done in finger paints now..... lol