Anchoring wood shed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

The.Devo

May 26, 2018
MA
Long time lurker, just signed up. I am almost done building my firewood shed and I'm starting to get nervous that it is a big parachute. The firewood storage area is 8'x16' w/ 2' overhang on all sides. The main roof is 10'x20', it is built on concrete deck blocks and definitely needs to be secured to the ground. The ground is very rocky and I can't get the screw in earth anchors to go deep enough. Looking to suggestions on what you may have done.

wood shed.jpg

You putting a floor in it? If so try to keep it mostly full...the weight alone will keep it in place....you have enough surrounding cover to break the wind....I wouldnt worry about it.

Reactions: mountain man 2
I have something similar but what I did was a little different. I set each post in a 5 gallon bucket then poured concrete around the posts. I made all posts the same height and the roof in sections and have moved it to 3 different locations now. It was my solution to a city that wouldn’t allow me to build another permanent shed. I now have it out in the country and still just used the same posts and it hasn’t budged on top of a windy hill.
It looks like you have enough trees to slow any winds strong enough to pick it up but the suggestion to tie a floor into it is a good one. For the most part wind will be blowing through or around your shed but not too often upward enough to grab onto it. A tornado however will destroy anything in its path but you’d have bigger problems than a tipped over woodshed if that happened.

Looking good, you’ll love the dry storage.
2B1482AC-F3C4-4C34-9151-1CC287C682AE.jpeg

Last edited:
Other than a hurricane or tornado
i don't think you have anything to worry about
But I do suggest a floor easier to work with than pallets

Long time lurker, just signed up. I am almost done building my firewood shed and I'm starting to get nervous that it is a big parachute. The firewood storage area is 8'x16' w/ 2' overhang on all sides. The main roof is 10'x20', it is built on concrete deck blocks and definitely needs to be secured to the ground. The ground is very rocky and I can't get the screw in earth anchors to go deep enough. Looking to suggestions on what you may have done.

View attachment 226951
Take a post hole digger and dig down a couple feet or more as close to the posts as possible and install 4x4 posts that you can bolt to the main posts and then pour concrete like you would for fence posts.

If the ends of your wood rows will be against the shed, that alone will hold it down.

Screw some of your pallets to the posts. Once they are loaded with wood I doubt it will go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This ^ ^ ^
How rocky is the ground? Like solid rock under a thin layer of soil?
If so, you may be able to just drill into the rock with a masonry drill and install standard wedge type concrete anchors...

This ^ ^ ^
How rocky is the ground? Like solid rock under a thin layer of soil?
If so, you may be able to just drill into the rock with a masonry drill and install standard wedge type concrete anchors...

It's not bedrock, just standard New England soil. 3 inches of dirt followed by tons of rocks of all sizes, explains our "quaint New England" stonewalls.

My 4x16 woodshed has 4x4's resting at ground level on 2' deep sonotubes. The shed itself is incredibly heavy, and full of wood is crazy heavy. No anchoring needed. 2x6's are bowing.

It's not bedrock, just standard New England soil. 3 inches of dirt followed by tons of rocks of all sizes, explains our "quaint New England" stonewalls.

You are right about that. I can't even dig down half a shovel depth without hitting a stone.
You did a great job on that storage area - looks like some sturdy lumber in there.

I have the same problem, live in Mass, my shed is going on a ledgy area. My idea was to anchor the pallets to the post, I have 3 ten foot pallets but would work with any size.

Nice looking job. I to would be concerned. I think it just a matter of time before its flying like the house in the Wizard of Ozz. You should add roof rafter hurricane ties. Just a small metal clip at HD. You nail into the rafter and header. I would get holes dug at the four corners fill with cement and tie down with a cable. Simple and cheep. You could cable it down to the base of some of those trees.

The floor, gravel to raise it off the dirt. I use 3 inch PVC pipe, but thats outside, and never goes bad. Much better than palets.