And They Just Keep On Chuggin'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2009
Ontario Canada
I have been running two Regency R3's 24/7 for the last 15 years. I had shut one down last night so that I could give the chimney a quick sweep before we get another blast 0f -20's this week. Up on the roof I go @ 6 a.m. and put the brush to the pipe. Ended up with enough creosote to 3/4 fill a 1 lb coffee can after 4 months of burning. Got me to thinkin' how lucky I have been with these two stoves. Over the years I have kept up with normal consumables like gaskets, fire brick, etc. but other than that they have performed faultlessly. To this day, when you give them a close interior check, they look almost as good as they did when they were a year old. I average 5 to 7 cords a year through them. Guess I am lucky when I hear some of the stories on this forum. I think it all boils down to buying a good quality stove(many brands) coupled with burning good seasoned wood and regular preventative maint., and the rest takes care of itself.

I've read on here a number of times about folks who want to short cut a proper installation or who try to convince themselves that they can get away with burning wood that is partially seasoned and then wonder why they can't get a proper burn or heat output. I guess what I am trying to say fits that old cliche' "You reap what you sew". Sorry for rambling on, time to put another log on the fire......................................

15 years ia a nice run. With a little care they'll go another 15. It's not luck though. You deserve the credit for picking out a good, solid and simple stove, for keeping ahead of the wood supply and for the backup heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.