Another way to stack wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

There is a variation to the holtz method. Theory has it that, if one stacked your splits in a verticle ,position they dry quicker. A center pole is established and splits are stacked around it in a verticle position. Gravity helps to remove the moisture in the wood far faster than wood stacked on a horizontal position. One works from the center out and up to a final cone type arangement. All pieces stacked verticle

elkimmeg said:
There is a variation to the holtz method. Theory has it that, if one stacked your splits in a verticle ,position they dry quicker. A center pole is established and splits are stacked around it in a verticle position. Gravity helps to remove the moisture in the wood far faster than wood stacked on a horizontal position. One works from the center out and up to a final cone type arangement. All pieces stacked verticle

Any diagrams of pictures?

You know about all those theories! Sometimes they come back to bite you in the butt.

If this works, we can add it as another article to the Wiki. Mo Heat did a nice Holz article there.

would that mean the wood at the bottom of the pile is the wettest and the top the driest though? This variation is almost like a large diameter HH...my buddy has a 7' wide one and I'm always amazed how much wood is actually in the *middle* of these structures standing on end.

Good question GOTWOOD, I would assume that the top layer of verticle splits would be drier. This is my first attempt of two, 6 foot diameter HH. And yes, they do hold alot of wood.

Found this info: Thought you might be interested.
**Note: The volume of a cylinder is Height x Pi x Radius squared. Applied to the traditional Holz Hausen, we have lO x 3.1415 x 25, or 785 cubic feet of wood. A standard cord is 4 x 4 x 8 = 128 cu. ft., so the traditional 10-foot high Holz Hausen contains about six cords of wood, enough for most German winters. The 7-foot version will have volume of approximately 269 cu. ft., or two full cords of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.