(another) What kind of tree is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenen98

Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2009
WNY
99% of my property is locust, so anything outside of that, stumps me. They are along a small stream, in Western NY if that helps. In the 18-24" diameter range. Relatively soft wood, again, compared to locust. Yes, all pics are from the same tree, the bark changes as it goes up. So what is it? AND, can I burn it in my stove once it's dried. Thanks in advance....

adnn02.jpg
2exr76h.jpg
29kpd76.jpg

Lenen98 said:
99% of my property is locust, so anything outside of that, stumps me. They are along a small stream, in Western NY if that helps. In the 18-24" diameter range. Relatively soft wood, again, compared to locust. Yes, all pics are from the same tree, the bark changes as it goes up. So what is it? AND, can I burn it in my stove once it's dried. Thanks in advance....

birch

definitely poplar,or some call aspen....Finally an id i can id

Should be plenty of leaves under'em to ID.
Yes it burns...rather quickly like pine.

WB

Attachments

• aspen.jpg
    aspen.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 514
popple-poplar-aspen, definitely not birch from the bark on the trunk.

it will burn fine, just a bit light. the hardest part will be getting it to dry in NY, maybe you could ship it to the guy in CO who is in the aspen drying business?!? He can probably dry that stuff in a month.

Isn't locust a good wood for burning? I'd stick with that and leave the popple to the pulp cutters and bugs.

It will still dry pretty fast because it is not dense. Split it now and burn it next fall. Around here it is mostly called gopher wood. Put some in the stove and quick go fer more. Expect short burns and lots of ashes. Good for fall and spring burning.

Ja, it certainly is Aspen. If it is crooked and multi-trunked, then probably Big Toothed Aspen despite WB's pics showing straight trunk and very different looking bark. If it had small round leaves, it is Quaking Aspen.

Thanks for the info. I need to go look for leaves on the ground. All I was finding were clearly maple, but guess they blew in from somewhere else. Yes, locust burns great, once it's dry, which can be a couple years. Might be a good thing to have some fall/spring wood.

Unless it's just to satisfy your own curiosity, there is no real difference between Big Toothed Aspen and Quaking Aspen WRT how it burns.

Poplar . . . aspen . . . around here most folks don't differentiate between the two.

Poplar, I have some just like it in a swamp area in the woods behind my house. I burn in shoulder season. Definitely split if possible as it will rot quickly if left with bark on.

firefighterjake said:
Poplar . . . aspen . . . around here most folks don't differentiate between the two.

Jake, you have to learn that it is popple, not poplar. lol

That aspen will season faster, light up faster, and burn to ash faster than locust.

Thanks guys, I did some looking around the trees last night. Sure enough, found aspen leaves. I don't have much soft wood on my property, so this will work great for what I need. Locust can be a bit temperamental for getting a fire going. Definitely some wet, spongy wood. I made an attempt to split a round, and the axe pretty much just got sucked in. I'll have to get the splitter over there.

Backwoods Savage said:
firefighterjake said:

Jake, you have to learn that it is popple, not poplar. lol

HehHeh . . . You would make a good Mainiac . . . most folks up this way call it popple too . . . and tamarack/hackmatack is almost always called juniper even though it's not a true juniper.

Status
Not open for further replies.