Another wood ID - Central OH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davo1028

Feb 5, 2019
Central OH
Hey everyone, was hoping to get some help from the experts here on a wood ID. Three actually... I'll put them as separate comments in this thread so they don't get all mixed up.

Here's the first one. It seems to be a hardwood with a thick, scaly bark. This one splits pretty easily (note that my splitting base is not the same as this wood). Unfortunately I don't have any information about the leaves since this was felled and cleaned up when I got to it.

20220108_134617.jpg 20220108_134316.jpg 20220108_134314.jpg

Number 2 is what I think is hedge/Osage orange from what I've seen on this forum. It was already cut up, but was growing in a large hedgerow near my house. The dark heartwood and almost pine looking bark remind me of other pictures of hedge I've seen. Opinions?

20220108_134336.jpg 20220108_134331.jpg

OK, final one. I have no clues on this one, but I did collect it from the same area as number two. It's a light, almost white, throughout and has a bumpy, kind of small grained bark. I've not tried to split this one yet.

Thanks for helping this newbie scrounger figure out what he's got!

20220108_134326.jpg 20220108_134328.jpg

Last edited:
#1 could be honey locust...? No guess from me on #2 or 3, not enough to see to venture a guess other than 2 is probably a hardwood and 3 could possibly be a softwood...

#1 could be honey locust...? No guess from me on #2 or 3, not enough to see to venture a guess other than 2 is probably a hardwood and 3 could possibly be a softwood...

1 looks like could be cherry
Thought the same from the first/split pic, but the bark on the cherry I see is more "flaky" than "platelike". Also, I've seen honey locust with green moss like that but haven't seen it on cherry (at least solid cherry).

Could possibly be a hickory of some sort? Doesn't look like shagbark but maybe one of the others (that I am not familiar with at all...).

My vote is black birch for one and maybe hickory for rest. Split open and send more pics.

#1 - Definitely honeylocust (Gleditsia triacanthos) - scaley/ platey bark and yellow wood. Great burning once seasoned, but seems to take a while to season and takes time to catch in the stove.
#3 - Definitely hackberry (Celtis occidentalis) - warty, gray bark with solid white wood.
#2 - I thought walnut maybe, but last pic (beneath hackberry looked like same wood chunks as second group) the bark not right for walnut. It looks like Siberian elm (Ulmus pumila) to me.
Walnut will have soft cutting, chocolate-colored bark. Twigs have a chambered pith (dead give-away) if you see it. Leaf scars on twig: monkey-face.​

#1 - Definitely honeylocust (Gleditsia triacanthos) - scaley/ platey bark and yellow wood. Great burning once seasoned, but seems to take a while to season and takes time to catch in the stove.
#3 - Definitely hackberry (Celtis occidentalis) - warty, gray bark with solid white wood.
#2 - I thought walnut maybe, but last pic (beneath hackberry looked like same wood chunks as second group) the bark not right for walnut. It looks like Siberian elm (Ulmus pumila) to me.
Walnut will have soft cutting, chocolate-colored bark. Twis have a chambered pith (dead give-away) if you see it. Leaf scars on twig: monkey-face.​
I concur with CincyBurner on two of them-I just c/s/s both honeylocust and hackberry less than a month ago. I cant comment on the other.

Thought the same from the first/split pic, but the bark on the cherry I see is more "flaky" than "platelike". Also, I've seen honey locust with green moss like that but haven't seen it on cherry (at least solid cherry).

Could possibly be a hickory of some sort? Doesn't look like shagbark but maybe one of the others (that I am not familiar with at all...).
Yeah you’re right bark isn’t right I think it’s honey locust as mentioned

Honey Locust.

The first photos look like honey locust. The last ones like hackberry. Not sure on the middle ones.

I can't be certain about number 1 but my instinct is to agree on honey locust. I have dealt with mostly black locust myself though.

Number 2 keeps makinge think of elm. Maybe walnut but I lean towards elm. My confidence level os low on this one.

Number 3 is hackberry. My commercial property is essentially surrounded by a hackberry thicket so I say this with 💯 certainty.

Great, thanks for the help everyone! Looks like the consensus is honey locust, an unknown f maybe walnut or elm, and hackberry. once I get to splitting that second one I'll post back here and see if some better pictures and splitting characteristics help us with an ID. Thanks for your help and happy burning!

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Hey everyone, was hoping to get some help from the experts here on a wood ID. Three actually... I'll put them as separate comments in this thread so they don't get all mixed up.

Here's the first one. It seems to be a hardwood with a thick, scaly bark. This one splits pretty easily (note that my splitting base is not the same as this wood). Unfortunately I don't have any information about the leaves since this was felled and cleaned up when I got to it.

View attachment 289604 View attachment 289605 View attachment 289606
If it's very heavy, and thornless it's starburst honey locust. It burns like coal and top of the line , I've got two cords two years old.

View attachment 289604 View attachment 289605 View attachment 289606
Thornless starburst honey locust. This stuff is phenomenal in a woodstove burns hot as ell and leaves little leftovers, burns very long. You've got some primo stuff.

hl.jpg hl1.jpg

Agree with honey locust on the first. None of those pics are hedge. You would know hedge by the intense, borderline fluorescent yellow wood when first cut. What you call "2" and "Final" seem to be just different pics of the same logs from different angles. The nearly pure white logs near the top of the pics (some with snow on them) are hackberry, 99.9% sure. The logs with the dark centers - not sure there, possibly some sort of elm? American elm, 85% sure.

Good to know #1 is locust - that's what I have the most of! I cut and split #2 today - it's walnut, as previously suggested. I just couldn't tell at first with the ends being faded, but a fresh cut and split showed that telltale color. Not much of the darker heartwood on these small pieces I have though. I'm sure they'll still burn just fine.

20220122_144702.jpg 20220122_143507.jpg

Those last pics are black walnut. I burn lots of it. Good firewood. Not as good as oak, but good. Easy to split.

ps If you want to have a garden, don't plant it near a black walnut tree.

Thanks for additional pics. Yes, #2 definitely walnut.