Another wood score, a giant sequoia

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sirlight

Burning Hunk
Dec 4, 2021
Albany, OR
Just when I had finally processed most of the previous deliveries, the tree service surprised me with 4 loads of logs. These logs were the remains of a giant sequoia about 5 feet across.
P1040882.jpgP1040887.jpgP1040888.jpgP1040889.jpgP1040883.jpg

Not to complain, but I was over 6.5 years ahead on my firewood supply right before this delivery. I have space to store another 5 or 6 cords, but after that I may need to reluctantly tell them to stop delivering. Guess I need to find some friends that need wood. I guess there are worse problems to have...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad to see that giant go. How close are the growth rings?

I am no expert, but the rings seem pretty wide to me. There are 57 by my count.

They just dropped off another load.

P1040890.jpgP1040891.jpg

Sequoia is a redwood. Wonder how good of firewood this will make? I have never burned it before.

Yes, that grew rapidly. Makes me wonder if it's a coastal redwood instead? That's what we have growing in our yard. They grow very quickly. Ours is 50 yrs old this year and about 4 ft across.

I don't know much about tree identification. The tree service said sequoia, so I suspect they know what they are talking about. Most of the work they do is removing hazard trees from residential property. A tree like this growing in the open can put on some major growth over the years.

I cant find Sequoia. Redwood has 20 million BTU/cord. Not too bad. Not real good but not too bad.

Sequoia is prized for wood working. https://www.anticcolonial.com/en/naturelovers/the-most-expensive-wood-in-the-world-sequoia/
Maybe you can give it to a work worker. In my area we have mixed forests that include redwood. No one burns redwood. Most people prefer the hardwoods. I expect sequoia will burn similar to redwood.
Yes, I think as lumber the sequoia would be better served. Main issue is that the tree service cut it into such small pieces. I have a ad up on craigslist now. Will see how it goes. I much prefer hardwood for firewood too. It is the luck of the draw what the tree service will bring me.