Antique Cast Iron Gas Insert, Can it be used safely??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ThreshHawk

Nov 11, 2020
Kansas
Hi all! Recently purchased a home built in 1928 that has a really cool cast iron gas insert in the basement fireplace. The gas line was long ago disconnected, but it still runs into the firebox, it has just been capped. I often restore antique cast iron cookware, tools, etc., so I believe I could restore this to its proper condition.

My question is, can it be used? The mortar between the clay tiles that line the flue is deteriorating, so the flue will need to be lined. Will this type of gas insert vent properly if a stainless steel liner is installed? Currently the flue is standard 8x13".

Of course, we can just put in a modern gas insert, but it would be very neat to keep the aesthetics of this antique beauty.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Gas Antique Insert.JPG

Aaron

There is no guarantee that it WILL vent, especially if someone in your household turn on a bathroom vent,
an exterior vented range hood or a clothes dryer, while you have this unit burning.
The replacement air for any of those other items, may probably come down your
basement chimney, negating the draft needed for proper venting of combustion by-products.

Reactions: ThreshHawk