Anybody use fatwood to start fires?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
I've always been a super cedar user,but it seems the prices keep spiraling up,no big deal i guess. But i tried a 10lb box of fatwood and the fires which have been few, kicked right off with 2 to 3 sticks.Still have about 70 super cedars, once the fire burning season really kicks off no use for either.

I never will understand this kindlin problem. I only use it now or early spring when not running 24/7. I ALWAYS have enough from splitting or limbs falling. Never would think of buying any

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
Yes, I have enough kindling from splitter trash alone to last a lifetime or two. We have so much because once we are heating 24/7 there is rarely need for kindling.

There are so many good sources if one checks around. Flooring cutoff scraps, trim and cabinetry scraps, etc. are also excellent sources.

I found a couple old pine stumps in my back yard. Fat wood was all that was left of them. I light top down with a good bit of kindling and two or three short pieces less than 6” long pieces of fat wood. I light each one off with my kitchen propane torch and close the door. I use it sparingly and don’t use paper anymore.

Reactions: TreePointer
I use fat wood in the insert and newspaper with kindling in the boiler.

I split my own wood and that produces enough of what ever I need to start a fire or get the fire going. I dont like to buy anything regarding. wood, wood products or starters, it defeats the feeling of free and doing it on my own. I will how ever spend what ever I want on equipment for harvesting and processing because am really Weird like that...

I've used fat wood, I actually like it better than super cedars but I just don't really like buying either of them. But yeah the fat wood just ignites quick and does the job well.

I just use regular kindling I split, usually red oak. Fatwood is nice, but pricey where I live.

I start with a few wads of newspaper over 3 or 4 sticks of fatwood, then thumb sized pieces of dry cherry, finally full sized splits on the bottom. This has worked well for me. I'm not very experienced at this but, hey the fire gets going.

Lately I'm using a bottom layer of wood charcoal and pine cones. The cones are perfect for kindling, plenty of surface area to catch fire quickly. Then the charcoal keeps the initial burn going. My 2 cents.

We always have enough scrap wood for kindling. I split up about 500 gallons of cedar into little pieces this year and may sell some locally if there is demand. We always have some splitter splinters and end pieces from bucking. We grind our bark into mulch/potting soil for ourselves. We harvest birch bark if we see a fallen log by the road. I scrounged some fat wood last year and still have some. Awesome stuff!

I have tried mostly everything from fat wood to burn burgers to those little squares. I burn 4 cords a year (about 180 fires) and the cheapest and most effective way I found is to take 5 cotton balls, line them up on the end of a half size sheet of paper towel, dose them until saturated on both sides with a squirt from an application bottle that I fill with kerosene, roll up the cotton balls up in the paper towel and put that in the center of the logs. Lights instantly and burns hot and fast. No kindling needed. You can get kerosene at a filling station for $4 a gallon (2 gallons last an entire season). 200 Cotton balls at Walmart for less than $2 (need 4 bags) and a roll or two of half-sheet paper towels at $2 each. Total is less than $20 for an entire season vs. the burn sticks or burn burgers which is $40+ dollars a month and works out to be about $240 a year (and they can be irritating to light sometimes). Kerosene is what they use in lamps and the cotton balls act like a wick and the paper towel contains the iinitial burn so there is no explosion, no righteous nagging about "flammables" = perfectly safe. For those of you that get free kindling from your wood pile, don't forget the time it takes to collect it particularly including the time to filter/collect it from the rest of the wood. If you buy kindling then add that cost and don't forget chopping your own kindling with an ax - more tedious than those videos would have you to believe. I'm just saying.

One thing I like is lumber cutoffs. 3-7" pieces of 1x and 2x material. I can easily make 2 sticks/second with a sharp hatchet. I sometimes keep a box of them next to the stove and grab a few when needed.

I have tried mostly everything from fat wood to burn burgers to those little squares. I burn 4 cords a year (about 180 fires) and the cheapest and most effective way I found is to take 5 cotton balls, line them up on the end of a half size sheet of paper towel, dose them until saturated on both sides with a squirt from an application bottle that I fill with kerosene, roll up the cotton balls up in the paper towel and put that in the center of the logs. Lights instantly and burns hot and fast. No kindling needed. You can get kerosene at a filling station for $4 a gallon (2 gallons last an entire season). 200 Cotton balls at Walmart for less than $2 (need 4 bags) and a roll or two of half-sheet paper towels at $2 each. Total is less than $20 for an entire season vs. the burn sticks or burn burgers which is $40+ dollars a month and works out to be about $240 a year (and they can be irritating to light sometimes). Kerosene is what they use in lamps and the cotton balls act like a wick and the paper towel contains the iinitial burn so there is no explosion, no righteous nagging about "flammables" = perfectly safe. For those of you that get free kindling from your wood pile, don't forget the time it takes to collect it particularly including the time to filter/collect it from the rest of the wood. If you buy kindling then add that cost and don't forget chopping your own kindling with an ax - more tedious than those videos would have you to believe. I'm just saying.
Great idea ,when I use up my Super cedars i'm all in with your idea.

Great idea ,when I use up my Super cedars i'm all in with your idea.

A couple of things I forgot to mention.

1) I lay the cotton balls on top of the paper towel on top of a piece of cardboard to capture any soak-through.

2) Any accelerant (alcohols or petroleum distillates) will do and I have tried several and they all work more or less the same -
with the trade-offs being cost and smell. I settled on kerosene as the cheapest and not particularly foul smelling and even then it is only while you are dousing that you notice any odor (not when burning) and even then it is barely noticeable. Rubbing alcohol has the least odor and odorless mineral spirits are a close second. But they are 4 times more expensive than the kerosene. I only mention it because they can be used in a pinch. I have not tried gasoline simply because it is not much cheaper than kerosene and smellier. On the point of odorless mineral spirits make sure you get exactly that in the metal cans. There are some mineral spirits that have some kind of white film in them that "I think" is used to keep it from being flammable.

3) To find kerosene at the pump look here...

https://firstquarterfinance.com/gas-stations-with-kerosene-near-me/

you usually don't have to go far to find one and in any event you are only filling a two gallon can once a season.

4) I use a repurposed dish detergent bottle with a pop top to hold the kerosene. I refill a 16 ounce bottle from the can about once every two weeks using a small funnel.

5) If you are careful you can roll without getting any accelerant on your hands. To do that line up the cotton balls about an inch and a half from the small edge and then use that margin to start rolling over the balls. If you don't have that kind of finesse then a pair of work gloves will do. If you get anything on your fingers then just wash them off.

6) If you are used to using fatwood, burn burgers or squares etc. be advised that this burns hotter and faster (although generally no worse than newspaper). In any event I would keep an eye on the first couple of burns for the first 5 minutes so you get a feel for it. See 7

7) This technique all but eliminates the need for kindling except maybe on those bitter mid-winter days where you have to crank it up fast from a cold start to get the party started (and in that case see 6). In order to keep control of the fire, avoid stuffing the box at first but instead start with two big logs, form a valley in the center and lay the burn roll in that and some kindling on that and then lay a smaller log in the valley being careful to leave space for the fire to escape and let the burn roll breath. This way the fire can get burning hot and fast without there being too much fuel in the box and once you get some coals out of that then couple of big logs on top then cut your air and adjust for long term burn. This prevents a potential run away situation. I can go from cold start to red zone in about 10 minutes but if you overload the box in the beginning then you might lose control. I've seen some pictures that make me shudder.

8) HOMER SIMPSON D'OH! I know it goes without saying but I will say it anyway. Don't light these in your hand and then throw them into the firebox or at best you will have three stooges Curly moment (NYAAYAA) and at worst a visit from the FD. Lay them in the box then light.

9) Full disclosure - I stole this idea from a camping trick where you roll cotton balls in petroleum jelly. Unfortunately it gets kind of messy having to roll all of the balls and the jelly is more expensive than the kerosene and it doesn't burn as hard and fast.

Last edited:
A couple of things I forgot to mention.

1) I lay the cotton balls on top of the paper towel on top of a piece of cardboard to capture any soak-through.

2) Any accelerant (alcohols or petroleum distillates) will do and I have tried several and they all work more or less the same -
with the trade-offs being cost and smell. I settled on kerosene as the cheapest and not particularly foul smelling and even then it is only while you are dousing that you notice any odor (not when burning) and even then it is barely noticeable. Rubbing alcohol has the least odor and odorless mineral spirits are a close second. But they are 4 times more expensive than the kerosene. I only mention it because they can be used in a pinch. I have not tried gasoline simply because it is not much cheaper than kerosene and smellier. On the point of odorless mineral spirits make sure you get exactly that in the metal cans. There are some mineral spirits that have some kind of white film in them that "I think" is used to keep it from being flammable.

3) To find kerosene at the pump look here...

https://firstquarterfinance.com/gas-stations-with-kerosene-near-me/

you usually don't have to go far to find one and in any event you are only filling a two gallon can once a season.

4) I use a repurposed dish detergent bottle with a pop top to hold the kerosene. I refill a 16 ounce bottle from the can about once every two weeks using a small funnel.

5) If you are careful you can roll without getting any accelerant on your hands. To do that line up the cotton balls about an inch and a half from the small edge and then use that margin to start rolling over the balls. If you don't have that kind of finesse then a pair of work gloves will do. If you get anything on your fingers then just wash them off.

6) If you are used to using fatwood, burn burgers or squares etc. be advised that this burns hotter and faster (although generally no worse than newspaper). In any event I would keep an eye on the first couple of burns for the first 5 minutes so you get a feel for it. See 7

7) This technique all but eliminates the need for kindling except maybe on those bitter mid-winter days where you have to crank it up fast from a cold start to get the party started (and in that case see 6). In order to keep control of the fire, avoid stuffing the box at first but instead start with two big logs, form a valley in the center and lay the burn roll in that and some kindling on that and then lay a smaller log in the valley being careful to leave space for the fire to escape and let the burn roll breath. This way the fire can get burning hot and fast without there being too much fuel in the box and once you get some coals out of that then couple of big logs on top then cut your air and adjust for long term burn. This prevents a potential run away situation. I can go from cold start to red zone in about 10 minutes but if you overload the box in the beginning then you might lose control. I've seen some pictures that make me shudder.

8) HOMER SIMPSON D'OH! I know it goes without saying but I will say it anyway. Don't light these in your hand and then throw them into the firebox or at best you will have three stooges Curly moment (NYAAYAA) and at worst a visit from the FD. Lay them in the box then light.

9) Full disclosure - I stole this idea from a camping trick where you roll cotton balls in petroleum jelly. Unfortunately it gets kind of messy having to roll all of the balls and the jelly is more expensive than the kerosene and it doesn't burn as hard and fast.
THX,great info,Tractor Supply sells kerosene in a gallon pre packaged can,Wal Mart also $8.66 a gallon.

I tried something new last year that seems to work well. A few wine corks soaked in alcohol. Corks don't seem to be hard to get ... I got a years worth from a single email to co workers asking them to save some me some corks. And alcohol from a drug store is cheap and easy to get (If there is no virus to clean up after, anyway).

I tried something new last year that seems to work well. A few wine corks soaked in alcohol. Corks don't seem to be hard to get ... I got a years worth from a single email to co workers asking them to save some me some corks. And alcohol from a drug store is cheap and easy to get (If there is no virus to clean up after, anyway).
Interesting. How do you soak the corks? How long do you soak them for? How many do you need to get a fire on?

Last edited:
Soak them in a plastic container with a lid for days to weeks, I never timed it, just add a few new ones when the level in the tub gets low. I use three or four corks and a handful of twigs or other kindling to start a fire.