Anyone Burning Today?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd said:
It's only 58 outside with a strong NW wind, probably going to have to take the chill off this evening, anyone else?

Yep

It was another hot humid day for us. Humidity had us around the 97-100* mark. We've got a cold front moving through right now which will give us high's in the mid 60's and low's in the low 50's for the next week.
So no burning yet but really it's only a few weeks away for me.

Wind still whipping around a lot and chilly but 50-60 doesn't need much of a fire if any. However, if it get too cool I would not be totally against lighting a small fire late in the day. Time will tell. We usually have a couple fires in September. What makes this seem so chilly is that we had all that super hot weather and now 55-60 feels cold. Another month or two and 55-60 will feel warm.

Present temperature is 55 with wind west 18 gusting to 26.

Lit a small one tonight to get the chill off. Wife said I'm cold and that's all it took for me.

Mid 50's here today with some wind. Really not stove weather for us but since we did a new install on Friday I just couldn't help myself. Started a fire and opened all the windows %-P

This is crazy. It has been in the nineties with high humidity so long this year that I walked outside with 72 degree temps and virtually no humidity and it felt chilly.

Good grief!

BrotherBart said:
This is crazy. It has been in the nineties with high humidity so long this year that I walked outside with 72 degree temps and virtually no humidity and it felt chilly.

Good grief!

Yeah, mid 60's today and the kids are freezing. I don't mind this weather, but it will be back up into the 80's tomorrow. I'm dying to start a fire in the furnace, but the wife won't let me.

Not time to think about burning yet. Tomorrow's gonna be a bit unseasonably cool, but our weather usually stays pretty comfortable through October. My shop stove's been all cleaned up and ready to go for some time now, but I just today finally got around to starting to remove the baffle in the Liberty to clean it up and sweep the flue. I'm in no hurry to start burning. Still got a lot of wood to put up in the shed. Rick

It's finally starting to cool off here. Temps will fall into low 40's tonight. But with temps rising into 70's during the day, it hardly pays
to start a fire. No one in the family is asking for a fire, so I'll save my wood.

first firepit of the season. its 68 here. the kids had some of those oversized marshmallows my wife bought a few weeks ago. i didnt bring out the chocolate or ghram crackers . personaly its still a bit to warm but the kids wanted an excuse to eat some junk food. pete

Got down to 42 a couple of nights ago. It was right chilly in the morning. Would have started a fire, but it's so dry outside that I hesitated because of some concern about sparks.

Did kick on an electric heater for a few minutes, though, to take the edge off. Boy, that really hurt!

Pretty much the usual rule. Get's cold in the joint, it lights off. I would prefer that it happen in November but that hasn't happened yet. Usually the last week of September or the first week of October.

I always think that I am going to hold out and just let the electric heat do it for a while but then that night comes when I say "Screw it. That stove is lighting up."

Dropped to about 47º Friday night, but we had enough thermal mass to get through that. Supposed to be back in mind 90's monday - so that will recharge the thermal 'flywheel' (and probably get the AC to come back on). I'm hoping to put off burning for at least another month and a half - or more.

We hit the low 50's last night and about 62 right now. House is staying about 69 so I will not be lighting a fire. I'd run the furnace for a few minutes before loading the stove. I'd be stuck with the stove heat for hours and it's supposed to hit the Mid 70's today so we'll be fine.

Still 82 degrees at 6:00... A low of 48 tonight but still not cold enough to burn yet...but I can't wait to start burning! I swept my chimney and prepped every thing to start :)

These are our monthly averages (fun thing about this link is that you can click on "Monthly Averages" and get an option to "Compare Locations"). Right now this week we're tracking a bit below our historical averages, but that could change. We live in the high desert, so cool overnight lows are the rule. Great for sleeping. It's also very dry (humidity-wise) here. Short growing season. Haven't burned in either stove yet, but they're both all spiffed up and ready to go now (swept the Liberty flue today and reinstalled the baffle). We can feel it coming...we actually closed the windows the last couple of nights. Rick

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/97701

We had a great 3 day weekend of camping in sunny weather. Got home on Labor day, unloaded, and the rain began to fall. 65 outside and a steady rain. 63 inside. These stone stoves need break in fires every year so I decided to try a small one. It is September after all. Burned for most of the night and the house only got up to 73. Stove was 250 or so. Dog was happy, I was happy, ice cream tasted good.

So yes, shoulder season burning has begun in the northwet.

I should be burning with the temps and wind here today but holding off as long as possible. I even broke out my jacket for the first time today. It does make for good firewood gathering weather except for the wind.

Yesterday I swept the flue on the Liberty and reinstalled the baffle, so both stoves are ready. Not time yet, but I can feel it coming. Rick

Taking the chill off tonight, it's been a cold rainy day in the 50's.

I am going to turn the air conditioners off here in a little bit. It is down to 81. But I have shifted to the heavy robe going out in the mornings. Temps in the fifties. Yep. It is coming but I could stand for it to wait awhile. I will be sick of burning by around Christmas. :p

I was just looking at my records today - one year ago today I did my 4th burn-in on the FV. Today was a bit warm for that - high in the low 80's so no temptation to burn but looking at the notes from last year it does seem that it could be possible to talk myself into burning in a couple weeks. Then again I don't have the new stove itch this year eh?

BrotherBart said:
...Yep. It is coming but I could stand for it to wait awhile. I will be sick of burning by around Christmas. :p

You and me both, Soldier, you and me both. I'm already tired just thinking about it. :-/ Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.