Anyone else still burning wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’m still warming up the house with a fire every morning. We had frost last night and most nights lately. I just heard that the farmers around here are 18-21 days behind on planting their fields compared to a five year average from the rain/snow and cold.

I’m still warming up the house with a fire every morning. We had frost last night and most nights lately. I just heard that the farmers around here are 18-21 days behind on planting their fields compared to a five year average from the rain/snow and cold.

It's not quite as cold here. So far everything on my property except the poplars are leafing.

Fires two afternoons in a row. High of 44 and rain here in southern Maine today. Seriously - it needs to end, my peach tree is starting to blossom!

Also cool here, the last two days. Never even got out of the 40's yesterday. Looks like we'll be warming up, over the next few days.

Been out sailing in the little dinghy twice with the kids already, just being careful not to capsize,the water is still in the 50F's.

I've been burning up old dinosaurs . . . but lit a fire yesterday morning and night . . . and this morning.

With nighttime temps now above 50 it's too warm here for fires. Electrons are cleaner and cheaper. Way cheaper now that solar power is exceeding the heat pump load.

Reactions: SpaceBus
It’s wet and cool out, 40 now and I’m on my second fire of the day now. It will be down in the mid 30’s for a few nights this coming week. Some days are nice some aren’t. Time to put the long johns again. :mad:

I’m burning some nice oak mill ends now. A bar in town that burns wood said that someone dumped them there in the wrong place, at the end of their parking lot and they didn’t want to bring them up to the bar so I got 50 or so nice chunks of red oak for free. :)

Still going here. If there's no clouds in the morning, I don't have to burn in the morning. If there's consecutive nice days I don't even have to burn at all. Days like today seem like the end of burning season, but it will be cloudy, wet, and cold for the next week or so....

From what I've heard from locals, burning season never really ends in most of Maine. I've never lived anywhere you might need to use heat in the summer.

When I spent a summer in Maine we had several 85-90º temps. Some days it felt like the humidity was that high too. That was miserable. I ended up jumping into the Atlantic.

Whenever I’ve been to the pacific states it was a nice break from the humidity we can get here too. I’m on the 47th parallel up here, the same as just north of New Brunswick Maine. There is a period of 4 to 5 months or so where we don’t heat at all here but they say that July is historically the only month that it has not snowed up here. I would imagine if it snowed in June it was very early June and vise versa for August, it probably was very late August but I could be wrong.

When I spent a summer in Maine we had several 85-90º temps. Some days it felt like the humidity was that high too. That was miserable. I ended up jumping into the Atlantic.
When we were up here looking at houses last July it was pretty dry and the highs here were only 75-80f. We drove through the white mountains to get here, since 95 is trash, and for a while the outside temp kept getting higher, then as we got on US 1 N the temp got lower and lower the closer we got to Machias. There's also a lot of wind where we are, although it's always worse in town it seems. Today was remarkable with the relatively still air, flies were bothering me. Usually there's enough of a breeze, or a 30+ MPH gust on a windy day, to keep the bugs away around the house. A bug net solved the annoyance today.

When we were up here looking at houses last July it was pretty dry and the highs here were only 75-80f. We drove through the white mountains to get here, since 95 is trash, and for a while the outside temp kept getting higher, then as we got on US 1 N the temp got lower and lower the closer we got to Machias. There's also a lot of wind where we are, although it's always worse in town it seems. Today was remarkable with the relatively still air, flies were bothering me. Usually there's enough of a breeze, or a 30+ MPH gust on a windy day, to keep the bugs away around the house. A bug net solved the annoyance today.

First full year in Maine with black fly season Spacebus? They just showed up here a couple days ago in full force. I hate the end of May, black flies, mosquitos, ticks and tourists. You guys in Maine used to have an awesome coffee (Black Fly Roast) that would chip the paint off a battleship.

Had a fire going yesterday morning to take the chill off. Last year I burned intermittently into June, the year before I started some fires in August. You just never know up here.

Last edited:
8D19C1E3-80FD-4DE6-BC11-82A7D62F9ED8.png
Cold cold cold! Fire fire fire!... in the stove of course. SpaceBus- The black flies that are bugging you sound like the same ones we get up here. They go for your head and they can get into anything your mouth even breathing then in at times... your eyes and ears too. If you raise your arm above your head they attack your hand and the only relief sometimes is a fly net over a brimmed hat. They are bad at my old place 7 miles from here. I lived there for 15 years and they were always bad especially in the spring but here at the new place they aren’t so bad knock on wood!

Update, it’s 33 out now and snowing... agh. Another fire coming up!

Last edited:
First full year in Maine with black fly season Spacebus? They just showed up here a couple days ago in full force. I hate the end of May, black flies, mosquitos, ticks and tourists. You guys in Maine used to have an awesome coffee (Black Fly Roast) that would chip the paint off a battleship.

Had a fire going yesterday morning to take the chill off. Last year I burned intermittently into June, the year before I started some fires in August. You just never know up here.

Yeah, black fly season is in full swing. I'm used to annoying bugs, fire ants and mosquitos in the south, but the black flies are much different. It makes me miss Appalachia! As far as Maine Coffee, the Bold Coast Coffee brand is amazing and the best I've ever had. A fire was lit this morning, maybe even followed by another soon. I suspect this year, if it stays this wet, June fires will be the norm. I might even need some more bio bricks. I'm hoping the five cords I have CSS so far will be ready by for real winter.

View attachment 244299
Cold cold cold! Fire fire fire!... in the stove of course. SpaceBus- The black flies that are bugging you sound like the same ones we get up here. They go for your head and they can get into anything your mouth even breathing then in at times... your eyes and ears too. If you raise your arm above your head they attack your hand and the only relief sometimes it a fly net over a brimmed hat. They are bad at my old place 7 miles from here. I lived there for 15 years and they were always bad especially in the spring but here at the new place they aren’t so bad knock on wood!

The mosquito net with a brimmed hat did the trick yesterday. Just as you said, they only came for my face. I've heard they come for the carbon monoxide coming out of our faces. Perhaps they want the moisture from our eyes too (black flies are born in water). So far we haven't been swarmed, but it's definitely not too late!

Reactions: WiscWoody
They were exaggerating! On a normal year there's not many people burning much past early May and then starting up in October again.
Ha, I've needed a fire most mornings and evenings this month. Maybe this is unusual though. I have noticed the locals are pretty vocal about the weather, regardless of what's going on. Either way, i don't miss the south.

Early this morning. Sent to me from a friend in Denver. No thanks.

60939890_2482981455054095_1087454877187047424_o.jpg

Fire the stove once a day early morning -- supposed to get pretty warm next couple days then cool back down for weekend.

We had a fire this morning, it might be chilly enough to burn to tonight around 2100.

Fired up the stove about an hour ago. In the 40's right now with a strong wind so feeling much cooler (I have the windows open so it's a nice mix). Supposed to be in the 30's tonight so keeping the fire going. Found a stack of ends and uglies I had forgotten about so perfect for this kind of weather.

Last edited:
May snow storms. So hot right now. Stove room is at 71 right now. I didn't bring in enough wood before it started coming down, so it was a bit damp.
1080259d54a35066db63cf1fdb261e47.jpg