Anyone have experience with Shelter brand furnaces?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blucoondawg

Sep 23, 2012
Northern Wisconsin
My local Menards stores are carrying this brand now in addition to the Daka and Vogelzang Norseman which I currently have, the Shelter looks like a far better stove than the VG I currently have and it has a secondary burn chamber. I was wondering if anyone on here has tried the Shelter stove from Menards, it may be an acceptable mid price unit which would get me better quality than my current VG but not quite as expensive as the Caddys and others in that price bracket.

Here is a link to the different Shelter offerings: http://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=wood+furnace&sf_categoryHierarchy=&ipp=100

I was considering this brand as well. Very limited info found on it. Please, if you have any knowledge, information or experience with this furnace, please fill us in.

I think you're crazy if you don't spend the extra $500 and get the Drolet Tundra they have. Just the glass door alone would be worth it to me. I have a VG too and after two years im already looking to upgrade cause i dislike it so much. I dont think the Shelter is much of an upgrade.

Sorry, what is VG?

And are you recommending the Drolet over the other models? I see Drolet tundra and Drolet heatmax appear to be the same furnace but sold through different stores. Are you recommending step up from the Drolet or step up to the drolet ?

Excellent... I hope to making a purchase here very soon.... I think will will be spending almost the same amount in piping and installation as the darn furnace costs.....'oh well.... It should still all pay for itself

VG- Volzang

Im suggesting you upgrade to the Drolet, tundra or heatmax. I don't own one but i wish now i had spent the extra money and bought one instead of going cheap on the volzang. The guy that built that furnace (Drolet) used a wish list of ideas from furnace users on another site (arborsite) on what they wanted in a stove.Seemed like he nailed it pretty good in this new furnace from what i have seen and read. The glass door and secondary burn chamber are worth the extra money hands down, something not offered in the shelter. I just want to see you get something you'll like so you don't end up like me, kicking yourself later for trying to save a few bucks. Unfortunately arborsite is down so i cant link you the info on it.

Yes, hearing how much more efficient the tundra / heatmax is over the Englander, that sold me alone. Having the secondary burn is mostly the reason but I am for it. I definitely thank you input and hope it keeps coming as I would love to get one as soon as this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.