Anyone still burn coal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sure if you look at the local scale, the profits an usage has not benefited many local communities. On the other hand it fueled the industrial revolution helping propel the US to world's largest economy and is helping the Chinese do the same thing. Cheap, reliable and accessible domestic energy source is the cornerstone of any economy.
Oh absolutely. It was the fuel behind the industrial revolution. And it made quite a few people very very rich. Then when other cheaper and easier options came along those people took their money and ran leaving the mining communities with nothing.

Seems like too many people on this site should be huddling under blankets instead of playing with fire. Shocked that a site about wood stoves draws so many tree huggers.

I came here, got the info I needed, but frankly I find too many of the members to be “incompatible” with my world view. Thanks for the memories.

Please do come back if you have questions. Differences in opinion notwithstanding, we are all willing to help
and learn with good wood burning practices.

Also, (personal opinion) avoiding people of a different world view makes for a more boring, uniform, bland life. No need to agree with me, it may be different for you. Just an observation from my own perspective.

Seems like too many people on this site should be huddling under blankets instead of playing with fire. Shocked that a site about wood stoves draws so many tree huggers.

I came here, got the info I needed, but frankly I find too many of the members to be “incompatible” with my world view. Thanks for the memories.
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out :)

I'm not going to apologize for pointing out the downsides to burning coal. It's not surprising in the slightest that a forum dedicated to burning renewable fuel sources would find fault with burning coal.

Though the website is for responsible burning of all sources (my phrasing). I think burning trash (in a no commercial way) is never responsible, but coal can be. So I think both sides should find a home here. (And exposing oneself to the opposing view is always good imo.)

Also, this thread is not in the green room forum.

At least that is my reading of the "rules of this site".

Back to the topic - at least a little bit - no coal here but burning down coals because I need to reload before bedtime ;-)

I came here, got the info I needed, but frankly I find too many of the members to be “incompatible” with my world view.
Considering you were helped you could've just said nothing, or thanks. What a classy move.

Reactions: clancey