Are these termites?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Jones

Feeling the Heat
Oct 25, 2012
Kennewick, Washington
Some of the wood I got was real punky, and filled with these. I'm leaving that wood out of the house.

Attachments

• 20151005_134308.jpg
    20151005_134308.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 305
  • 20151005_134326.jpg
    20151005_134326.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 325
I googled pictures, and I think it's called a round headed borer larvae. I can't seem to find any info on whether or not they're like termites, and damage wood framing in houses.

I'm pretty sure they're flat headed larve at this point after seeing pictures. How much longer until they turn into beetles? Will they migrate to my house framing? Can't find that info anywhere. All it says is they like weakened trees. If they're like termites to houses, then I'm worried, but if not, I'll just keep it, but leave it outside in the truck across the street.

That is a beetle larvae, so it isn't a problem except that it might turn into a beetle. Then you'd have a beetle in the house, which isn't a big problem but you might not like beetles in the house. The beetles lay their eggs on rotting wood, so they won't damage the house. I don't find those beetle larvae in my split and seasoned wood, so I think they only choose moist wood for their larvae.

Flatheaded borers usually turn into the metallic wood boring beetles. Emerald Ash Borer, Bronze Birch borer. They only kill trees. No problem.
You will never see them in house wood.
Google Bronze Birch borer larvae.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.