Are you ready?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Looks like winter is finally coming here in the north east mid atlantic. They are calling for temps in the low teens and up to 18" of snow on Wednesday. It's been years since we got a big snow, last year there was only one shovel event, and it was only 1/2".

The porch stack is almost full, the three garden carts are mounded full and tarped close by, and all the other stacks for this season are securely tarped.

Didn't get the new 3/4 cord wood rack next to the porch finished in time. Bummer.

Not looking forward to hauling wood with the sleds again. It's been at least 5 years, but it seems like yesterday....

Ready, locked & loaded, as is the Dixette in CT :)

1 week loaded in the house, another 2 weeks within arms reach of the back door, and 3 cord with in 5 feet of shoveling to get to it. All top covered.

The rest of the 2-3 YO 4 -5 cords, sits top covered.

And still more to split!

Full seasons supply in the basement... BRING IT! :)

Took advantage of the 50 deg day on Sunday to clean the garage out, remove the backhoe off the machine, move my implements back onto pallets and in yard and bring up the snow pushers to the driveway area, also topped off the wood rack in the garage (10 days worth of burning) and checked my dry stores of food / ingredients to make sure I wasnt running low on anything important.
Went to the food store Sunday evening, not a soul to be seen, so I got my french toast supplies lol, also picked up a nice pork loin on sale for $7.00, that will be brazed on the grill tomorrow morning then popped into the slow cooker stuffed with garlic cloves, covered with sauerkraut, sliced apples, and a pinch cinnamon for dinner Wednesday night.
Not liking the forecast soundings this morning though, basically its showing NNJ as all snow, but a wet heavy snow with potentially up to 24" now, that will cause outages so I'll prob be working 16hr days till Christmas.

"Hmmm.... just cut a green oak yesterday... split and stacked by the front door.. should I burn it?! "

Yes! If you have a Sotz stove made from a 55 gallon drum it will burn! I burned green wood all the time when I had a Sotz, 30 years ago.

Look's like it's time for some Black Locust with temps getting down to zero overnight Friday. I understand the snow will be around 10 inches. I think I will experiment with my new leaf blower they clam it can blow light snow too. This could help a lot with my deck which is a pain to shovel. Any of you have any luck with a blower ??

I can see it working with light fluffy snow only. Wet and heavy forget it.

I've used the blower on light fluffy snow with great results. Not so great with the wet heavy snow.

Reactions: Lakeside
It went below zero for the first time this season last night and I have sooo much dry wood it’s kinda crazy. I need to get rid of some of it so bring on the cold but I k ow it’s hard on the wildlife when it gets bone cold up here. I mean like -30 to -40::F

It was down to around 5 up here last night. Daytime high today was 22. We should be getting 6-16" (they can't decide) of light and fluffy stuff as it's going to remain cold for several days. I've got wood enough downstairs to see us through until Saturday. My German shepherd pup is definitely ready too. She loves the cold and the snow.

We had 1.9 this morning but this storm will miss our area, most up here would take two feet of snow for the snowmobile trails.

It was down to around 5 up here last night. Daytime high today was 22. We should be getting 6-16" (they can't decide) of light and fluffy stuff as it's going to remain cold for several days. I've got wood enough downstairs to see us through until Saturday. My German shepherd pup is definitely ready too. She loves the cold and the snow.
Pictures of the pup please

So far it's very light almost a as fine as sand up here, it started about 2hrs ago but has since picked up in intensity, we have just under 1" for those south of me that are on the "line between snow and mix, the storm is actually coming in colder, so you have a better shot of more white stuff.

I was able to get the wood rack next to the house done and filled up, thanks to the weather. 3/4 of a cord. Worked all day yesterday and this morning, in the cold to get it done. It's pretty good. Roof is decked, didn't have time for final waterproof layer, but a tarp on top will get us through, for now.

Half, 5 year old ash, split way too small and cut 20" long, before I knew that east-west was not the best way to build long lasting fires in this stove.

The other half, primo red oak, at optimal length. Good for overnight fires and pumping out the heat.

All the carts are full, the porch stacks filled to the brim, the stacks covered.

Two cases of suds, a big ribeye steak and some shrimp, and we are set.

Stay safe and hopefully the power stays on!

Attachments

• IMG_7937.jpg
    IMG_7937.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 144
Between 14 - 15" here, looks like it should wrap up in an hour or so, going to go out then with the tractor and push things clean, I'll snap a few pics and post later.

Radar here in says we should be done by 3pm. Probably have 7" or so now. Stove's crankin

It appears that many of you in the north east will have a white Christmas....
I look out the window here and all I see is green grass.....frozen mind you. It has been bitter cold here for the past two days. Low teens with wind.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Looks like winter is finally coming here in the north east mid atlantic. They are calling for temps in the low teens and up to 18" of snow on Wednesday. It's been years since we got a big snow, last year there was only one shovel event, and it was only 1/2".

The porch stack is almost full, the three garden carts are mounded full and tarped close by, and all the other stacks for this season are securely tarped.

Didn't get the new 3/4 cord wood rack next to the porch finished in time. Bummer.

Not looking forward to hauling wood with the sleds again. It's been at least 5 years, but it seems like yesterday....
I'm ready. When is cheese country expected to get a big helping of winter? Been too long since we have had a substantial snowfall...

Reactions: thewoodlands