Are you ready?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well, we got about 10" at my place and 5" at Mom's. The funny part, we are only about 1/4 mile apart. It is probably because my drive is in the open and her's is under thick tall tree cover.

It wasn't the 12 to 18" that was called for, but it was like spackle. Heavy, sticky and wet. Discovered the snowblower wasn't in working order, I think I need an adjustment or a new belt on the blower blade. Never cracked it open before, I bought it for myself, and promptly took it down to my folks as a present. Dad seemed to get a kick out of it after doing without one for 37 years, and he'd crank it up (electric start) whenever there was a light covering. He was in his 80s.

The sticky snow wouldn't blow out at all. I'll be consulting the manual tonight. And, the wear bar on the bottom is completely worn. Dad wasn't one to be bothered with maintenance. But there's already one in the inventory, so that's an easy fix.

Yes, I know I should have done all this before the snow was on the ground.

So, about 5 hours of strenuous labor later, both driveways are cleared. And no heart attack!

The good news is, plenty of high and dry wood right outside the door and a nice bed of coals for the relight.

Last edited:
Reactions: D8Chumley
Shovels: check
Fresh gas: check
Snow blowers prepped: check
Wood hauled into house: check

Martini and cheese platter served: check and mate

Chess, martinis, and wood? Let's be best friends ==c.

The old IHC Scout I've been plowing with for the last 12 years handled the 15" or so like a champ. It's a little drafty with no driver's door, but it get's the job done.
IMG_20201217_125844.jpg
The snowblower I picked up at a tag sale over the summer for $60 worked great too and saved me a lot of shoveling.

Unfortunately, My insert is not installed yet, so no nice warm stove to relax in front of, but there's always next year.

Tire chains for the tractor will be here by Wednesday before Christmas!!!

That Scout is a gem! You should pull off the other door and just put some safety netting on it, like an old Winston Cup car.

Yeah, that Scout was the best $50 I ever spent.

When I got it, the fuel pump housing was rusted out and leaking so I called the local auto parts store and asked if they had the pump for it. They said they could order it but it was $150.
I said: "That's 3 times what I paid for the Scout."
They said: "We have a universal low pressure electric pump in stock for $40."
Me: "I'll take it!"

I mounted the pump to the metal dashboard, put a 6 gallon boat tank on the passenger seat, wired up a switch for the pump, ran a rubber hose through the firewall to the carb, and away we go.
IMG_20190119_115808.jpg