Asking for a little guidance between brands

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Hi all,

I'm big on buying quality when dealing in items like this, that will hopefully given me 10-20+ years of good service with no issues.

My local dealers seem to consistently carry Lopi and Quadra-fire Wood Inserts. I've heard very good things about both, but Quadra-Fire seems to be running about at least several hundred more than an equivalently sized Lopi.

For example: Lopi 1750 is similar to Quadrafire 3100i in terms of firebox size, emissions, look, etc.

Lopi 1750 = $2000
Quadrafire 3100i (per Quad's website) = $2500

Similarly, the larger Lopi Freedom runs around $2600 and the Quadrafire 4100i $2850...

Now, for all I know the Lopi's might need some extra basic accessories that make them much more equal.

But I'm curious: Is there a quality or performance difference between the two brands sufficient to warrant the price difference?

They both seem like top-tier brands, so I guess I'm trying to differentiate them...

Thanks all!

Joe

Both are good brands, but I prefer Lopi's baffle system. It is a bit more stout and lower maintenance. The PE baffle is also pretty tough and low maintenance.

BeGreen said:
Both are good brands, but I prefer Lopi's baffle system. It is a bit more stout and lower maintenance. The PE baffle is also pretty tough and low maintenance.

Thanks BeGreen. I've seen more complaints with PE and I was quoted $2400 for the PE Super unit that is of similar sizing to the Lopi Republic 1750....so I'd probably stick with the ~$400 cheaper Lopi unit.

BeGreen said:

+1

Hmm. Someone was pumping the store. The Super27 should be about $1500.

Also, the Lopi 1750 is the "econoline" version of the Lopi Revere, which would cost you that additional $400 or $500 I think. Tough to beat the econoline version IMO!
(the only thing different in the Lopi Republic 1750 line is the more basic door and the paint though - it's got the same guts, quality, thickness, baffle, etc.)

Looks like appearance might be one thing to decide beyond price, although both sit partially on the hearth, the Quadrafire has that three-sided bay shape, while the Lopi does not. Just a different look. (but also, check clearances for both?) The blower for the Lopi is under the ash pan, and the blower for the Quadrafires must be in those bay angles, right? Actually that might be one difference to check, see if the prices you are getting both include the door, surround, and blower. If you like the Lopi, maybe I can give you a good deal on the surround actually, we went without, it just looks like a legless freestanding stove. Getting the blower is advisable for any insert though!

Hey Joe, sorry I mixed up the threads here and forgot this is the insert. The Super insert should be more like $2000 for basic trim. But no problem if the Lopi is more appealing.

Hey all,

I'm pretty sure the $2400 for a PE Super Insert was including a blower and surround, but definitely a blower.

Most of these prices I'm quoting include a blower, at least.

tickbitty said:
Looks like appearance might be one thing to decide beyond price, although both sit partially on the hearth, the Quadrafire has that three-sided bay shape, while the Lopi does not. Just a different look. (but also, check clearances for both?) The blower for the Lopi is under the ash pan, and the blower for the Quadrafires must be in those bay angles, right? Actually that might be one difference to check, see if the prices you are getting both include the door, surround, and blower. If you like the Lopi, maybe I can give you a good deal on the surround actually, we went without, it just looks like a legless freestanding stove. Getting the blower is advisable for any insert though!

This is one area I wanted the expertise of this forum. Does Quadrafire use dual fans? Do they flow more air? Does the design actually have greater function?

I 100% require a blower...but i never thought about skipping the surround. Does it help air-seal the actual fireplace? My brother-in-law went surroundless and had a fan that actually blew out BEHIND the insert, went along the walls all around it, and then came out the front. He said that it helped convey additional radiant heat out into the room.
Not sure how accurate that was, but he's the type of guy that will rig up anything and has the knowledge to know how to make it more effective.

joefrompa said:
...Most of these prices I'm quoting include a blower, at least.

I wouldn't buy an insert without one. Actually, I'm a "fan" of blower kits on freestanding stoves, as well. Rick

Yes, that's why they include it. I always asked for the base price of the unit, since blowers are often thrown in during "specials" and such.

No matter what, a blower will be included in my end price. :)

Joe

There's a couple threads around about the surrounds on inserts. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50201/P22/
Some people do claim that without the surround they get more heat. I think it's about the same. Many people recommend a block-off plate where the liner goes up through your damper, and one is required if you don't have a full liner, but some feel that also helps keep the heat from going up the chimney. I don't have a block off plate and don't seem to lose heat up there, but I am willing to experiment with that a little more and may add a plate later. I just left the surround off because I like the way the stove looks without it, and because of the shape of my fireplace which is relatively tall and not the same shape as the wider surround plate. The Quad has quite a different look though, the surround looks quite nice on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.