Aubuchon Hardware is selling a "Canadian Comfort Model HHPP2BD" no win stock - anyone know of it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charland

Sep 9, 2008
Kennebec County ME
Just starting my research after paying a ton in heating oil last year in an old Italianate. The Canadian Comfort is selling for $1700.00. Anyone know anything about it? They say they can get it delivered for a reasonable price. I have to do the installation.

All I can tell you is I think it's made by Pell Pro (spelling ?) and sold under different names at different retailers. The Englander stoves I think are marketed that way as well. So I would search Pell Pro and see what you come up with.

Kennebec,

based on what I read (about the only other 2 people who bought a stove from this company), it doesn't sound good. Both complained that it seems to be very inefficient, even after getting it set right. I know this is late in the year to be getting a new stove, but I'd hate to see you buy something you're going to have problems/hate afterward.

How far from home did you search? You may have to extend it farther if nothing else was available. One guy on here drove 1000 miles round trip to get a decent stove....hopefully you won't have to go that far.

If I were you, I'd go on Home Depot's and Lowe's websites, and do a store search as far as you can, and start making calls to the closest one and work my way outward to see what they might have in stock. The Englanders are pretty good stoves. And there are plenty of people on here who use them, including Mike Holten who works for the company. Hey, you might get lucky.

macman said:
Kennebec,

based on what I read (about the only other 2 people who bought a stove from this company), it doesn't sound good. Both complained that it seems to be very inefficient, even after getting it set right. I know this is late in the year to be getting a new stove, but I'd hate to see you buy something you're going to have problems/hate afterward.

How far from home did you search? You may have to extend it farther if nothing else was available. One guy on here drove 1000 miles round trip to get a decent stove....hopefully you won't have to go that far.

If I were you, I'd go on Home Depot's and Lowe's websites, and do a store search as far as you can, and start making calls to the closest one and work my way outward to see what they might have in stock. The Englanders are pretty good stoves. And there are plenty of people on here who use them, including Mike Holten who works for the company. Hey, you might get lucky.

I also saw an add last week from Tractor Supply that mentioned another brand, US Stove, I believe.

Never heard of a Danson wow, how many pellet stove manufactures are there anyway and are there any vintage gone out of bussiness pellet stove companies?

Hard to count right now - a lot of companies are private labeling (building for others) and selling under different brand names. There are a LOT of companies and models that went by the wayside....probably as many or more than exist today. The business pretty much ceased to exist after the first pellet boom in the mid-90's - after that there was only some regional play. You could not have, for instance, ever had a forum like this because there were almost no users!

The business picked up again....slightly....in about 2003, and Katrina have it the BIG shot in the arm in 2005. Then it died again in 2006/2007 - now here we are....hard to imagine the current BIG boom started this March or April (2008).

I think you are right Webmaster. Looks like Dansons is a 6 year old company created by "Dan" and named in honor of his two sons, thus: Dansons. www.pelprostoves.com. Not much time to know if they are a quality product but I have found one review that was favorable. Also found a cite www.made-in-china.com where they say they get their component parts from China . I do not think they meant the town down the road here, China, Maine.

Do pellet stove manufacturers typically get their parts from China?

The Pelpro is a stove made somewhere in Alberta and is currently the brand being sold in Canadian Home Depot's. I initially attempted to buy one through a friend who sells/ installs but he seemed hesitant to come buy and spec out the job, so I went with an Enviro from another source.
When I mentioned to him that the Pelpro was rather "ugly" (personal choice and functional location an issue for my wifey), he stated that if you think it's ugly on the outside you should try looking/ working on the inside.
I got the impression it's a get what you pay for type of thing here, then again I don't know anybody with one.

Actually, to be more accurate, it is Canadian Comfort Industries that is on the made in China web site. www.made-in-china.com/import-export/gqXEhmuxBQfUprofile1/Canadian-Comfort-Industries.html . They state they are in the pellet appliance business. Aubuchon calls its product Pelpro Shop/Canadian Comfort Model, so I am not sure what is what or who makes what they are selling.

Need something soon, winter is almost here. In the 30s in the morning. Trying to fire up an old Russian fire place with more flues than I can count, but seems a pellet stove in the basement would be a wiser move.

macman said:
Kennebec,

I just had a guy drive 7 1/2 hours each way to get a P61 from me last week!

Kennebec said:
Trying to fire up an old Russian fire place with more flues than I can count, but seems a pellet stove in the basement would be a wiser move.
Real Russian fireplaces are amazing heating systems - their extraordinary thermal mass plus the convoluted flue pathways result in a high transfer of heat (BTUs) from the fire to the masonry and then radiating out into the house. They burn at extremely high temps so the volatiles which would otherwise form creosote deposits in those flues are burned instead. Have you tried Envo-Blocks? Barefoot pellets makes a brick sized/shaped "pellet" for fireplaces & woodstoves that give you some of the convenience of pellet fuel -- smaller storage space than wood, consistent burn, high BTU, etc. They come in 1ton pallets and I've seen them showing up in the local hardware store too.

They also sell Kentucky Komfort pellets Kentucky Komfort 11607-178th St., Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA

Kentucky and Edmonton, Alberta Canada are close neighbors :) :)
only 1700 miles between us

Status
Not open for further replies.