automotive

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
wow sounds like not a fun field to be in anymore. i remember the days when i could make a carb car run as good as a fuel injection car when it was cold and felt great at the end of the day. i think a steam engine might be the way to go. could even use some of my wood instead of high gas prices.

back to the spark plugs for a sec. now i'm worried about that. i wanted to change them this past summer but was pulled in 5 different directions all summer long. so when i go to change them they might not come out? or do they break in the hole?

listening to this noise my ears are telling me maybe it is a lighter sound then crank bearings. i did find a way around this until i change the oil again two key turn overs. shut off the key before it starts the on the 3rd key start it. it seems to key the noise at bay
pretty much sounds like the timing chain slap- sounds a lot like noisy lifters. 2 fasle and one for the road starts -yep- priming the oil pressure so the chains become fully tension-ed. As I said the earlier versions had keeper ratchets on the tensioning systems but some ford engineering genius decided that that was putting to much continuous pressure on the one bearing behind the cam ( there failure reports)phasers. So the second generation is sans the ratchet. This problem is not unique to Ford, Gm has it also.

does the 4.6 have this?

I don't believe the 4.6 has variable cam timing, not sure about the cam drive.
I don't know why the engineers have to "improve" everything. The old chain drive systems in small block motors were tried and true with few problems.In fact the motors from the 70's had fewer catastrophic problems then the new motors.

If it is indeed a fleet vehicle it's very possible that it just has a ton of hours on it. The university I work at just scrapped an 06 F250 with 60k miles and the way it ran you'd think it had 400k. Floors were rotted and the dash looked like a Christmas tree.
Ding ding ding! We have vehicles at work that are trashed by 60k. They spend nearly 24hrs a day running.

if i can manage to get code retriever to get the hours on my motor (mine doesn't have hours) how many hours of life is the normal engine to have be it's considered done?