Average daily electricity useage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Maybe valve off all water to the house to eliminate leaky toilet valves and the like?

I bet that water heater is gonna be a winner.

Did you plug the garage freezers into a kill-o-watt meter for a period of time, like a week?, at cold ambient temps to get a trusty kwh consumption rate?
Garage freezer and fridge, plugged in together to the kill a watt for 24 hours show .04 kw/hr. So that's less than $3/mo at least when it's 10 degrees out!

Reactions: Highbeam
I still can't explain the well blowing air deal. Not much info out there but what there is is saying barometric pressure can cause blowing/sucking so maybe? Any how to the pressure issue: I found 1 of my frost free hydrants not adjusted right. Not enough pressure to send it out the stand pipe but I could hear it with my ear to the pipe. I was losing 6psi per hour and now it's holding at 50psi for the last 2 hours. So I'm optimistic I figured it out.

I'll check back in next month when the bill shows up. I'm gonna look into the efergy monitor though. It would have made life simpler trying to track down this crazy use!

Garage freezer and fridge, plugged in together to the kill a watt for 24 hours show .04 kw/hr. So that's less than $3/mo at least when it's 10 degrees out!
.04 kw/h? Do you mean kwh? You can measure kwh with the kill-o-watt. .04kwh/day * 30 days = 1.2 kwh, which'd be like 15 cents or something.

My issue with the efergy will be that I have 4 panels. I guess I could start at the main line and work down? Main panel at the pole has a cut off and the well, house panel has the house and sends to a sub in the shop. Shop has a sub that sends power to shed.

So, your freezer and fridge in the garage used .04kwh over a 24 period. That's like 1.2 kwh for a 30 day month. That's like, nothing.

So, your freezer and fridge in the garage used .04kwh over a 24 period. That's like 1.2 kwh for a 30 day month. That's like, nothing.
I know. I figure it's because it's 30 degrees out there. Not much need to kick on this time of year. I have the kill a watt plugged into the house fridge to see what it does.

Your usage seems quite high. I'm at 650-710 kWh per month for a four bedroom colonial, electric stove, gas cooktop and dryer, hydronic hot water heat (5 zones plus an indirect), two newish refrigerators, well, gravity septic. Two of us in the house, mostly.

Your usage seems quite high. I'm at 650-710 kWh per month for a four bedroom colonial, electric stove, gas cooktop and dryer, hydronic hot water heat (5 zones plus an indirect), two newish refrigerators, well, gravity septic. Two of us in the house, mostly.
I'm hoping it was a combination of well running to much and poorly insulated HWH.

I'm hoping it was a combination of well running to much and poorly insulated HWH.

It wasn't your water heater. They're quite well insulated these days.

I have a kill-a-watt too, big surprise right? I found that modern refrigerators and freezers use hardly any power. Super low. Only 100 watts when running 50% of the day so less than 2 kWh per day for the kitchen refrigerator.

Multiple subpanels is no problem. Put the efergy on the main panel right behind the meter. It wirelessly transmits to the monitor. If nothing else, you will know the instantaneous power flow and the daily kWh use. You could clamp it to the well circuit to log the power use on that circuit.

My power company has an online way to look up daily power use. It's slow and delayed but they offer it and my digital smart meter apparently reports to the utility often.

Multiple subpanels is no problem. Put the efergy on the main panel right behind the meter. It wirelessly transmits to the monitor. If nothing else, you will know the instantaneous power flow and the daily kWh use. You could clamp it to the well circuit to log the power use on that circuit.

My power company has an online way to look up daily power use. It's slow and delayed but they offer it and my digital smart meter apparently reports to the utility often.

I have a neat little meter that reads all power consumed and reports it to both a website and to an IOS application. Got it as part of a PV solar installation. :)

Since installation in September, I've used 2145 kWh and generated 2553 kWh. For the next couple of months, I expect to be generating just a bit less than we're using...come spring, we may be at a 3X ratio of generation to usage!

It certainly can't hurt to superinsulate it.

The HWH is probably 14 yrs old so not sure how it stands up to newer models as far as insulation goes.

All the water lines run under the house right at grade. It stays about 40-50 degrees under there. All the water lines run through engineered joists and are all copper uninsulated. I have a circulator pump on the HWH that run about 5 hours a day. I have it set for 3 hours in the morning and a couple hours at night so we don't have to wait 5 minutes for hot water. Pump is minimal cost to run ($2.00/mo). But I'm sure the HWH could benefit from having all the lines insulated. Next project is to buy 100' of pipe insulation and cut it 16" chunks!

Apparently I do have a smart meter which transmits (Not sure how often yet). All this time I thought it was just a digital meter. Is there an in home monitor that will receive info from the meter real time? Will the efergy do this?

It certainly can't hurt to superinsulate it.
Usage for my electric hot water heater dropped 50% after super-insulating (6" fiberglass wrap top, sides, bottom), insulating the hot water pipes, and plumbing a U-shaped heat trap to stop ghost flows.

.04 per hour, so figuring a 720 hour month it's around 29kwh per month. Consequently the house fridge alone was about double that. So there's probably something to a fridge in a 72 degree house vs a 30 degree garage.

I don't know if the smart meter is done calculating the previous day when it resets for the current day? I would assume so. Every day previous to the 2nd I was averaging 82 kwh. Never lower than 60. Yesterday with the well issue fixed and HWH insulated the meter is showing 6.93 kwh. I'll check throughout the day to see if it changed but that is a about a 90% reduction.

Maybe something to do with the new month?
I doubt it . Since I moved into the place in September I haven't had a single day lower than 60kwh. The 1st month I watered the lawn quite a bit so I figured that was the cause. Then October and November roll around and the bill doesn't change. My previous house was all NG and city water so I had nothing to reference to. I finally got the kill a watt last month and started tracking all the 120 circuits. Every thing seems normal and even lower than I expected. I just didn't realize I have been pumping 200 gal of water a day! Good thing I live on fractured basalt. It never rose to the surface.

Well, I hope the reduction is real. That'd be awesome!!
It would be! I'm gonna call them here in a few minutes and see. Here's the graph from the meter for the last 14days of the billing cycle. Yesterday was day 14. The black line is temp.

UsageExplorer.jpeg