Average daily electricity useage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
He seems to have something in common with the fellow who posted right before him.
:)
I assume you meant wives who have a suspicious affinity for giving money to the electric utility company. I just came home to find the 70" TV and a dozen lights on, with everyone in the house asleep.

I'm also hoping he meant 1600 kWh, and not $1600, but he isn't clear. If dollars, I've been trumped!

Last edited:
Actually, I was just thinking about number of light bulbs - just in a ha ha kind of way.

First part could be true too - but wasn't me that said that. :)

I haven't counted bulbs recently, but the number was something like 205 when we moved in. I only know this because about half of them were blown, so I spent my first day in the house cataloging every bulb in every fixture, for a very big shopping list. If you count a 48" fluorescent tube as a "bulb", I'd guess my shop addition and a few new table lamps has us just over 250 bulbs, now. Most are low wattage (under 50 watts), and run on dimmers.

Serendipitous timing, here. I just got my bill for December: 2868 kWh.

I was talking in kw/hrs sorry I didnt specify. The more Ashful types the more I believe we are living in the same house. one day when I get to the other side of this house I fully expect to see him over there. Until then, Im glad he's paying the utility bill. Ha

It is interesting to see the difference in usage. I just checked my current bill 742 kWh. And the last 12 months 8869 kWh.

I was talking in kw/hrs sorry I didnt specify. The more Ashful types the more I believe we are living in the same house. one day when I get to the other side of this house I fully expect to see him over there. Until then, Im glad he's paying the utility bill. Ha

Very funny! You just reminded me that the buddy from whom I get all my wood has his house bisected by the county line. Long rancher, and his bedroom and kitchen are in two different zip codes. Unfortunately, I'm momentarily breaking firewood quarantine laws every time I haul wood out of there, since one end of his driveway is in a different county than me.

Reactions: brenndatomu
First time clicking on this thread. Ever since my ex moved out my usage dropped like a rock. I try to be energy efficient but still a long ways to go. Heck I still have some incandescent lights around. 2 fridge/freezers, electric hot water, and a computer that gets left on a lot. Through the winter I run about 4-6 fans usually, and of course the pellet stove. Luckily with the addition of the Woodstock Ideal Steel last winter I no longer use a blower for wood heat nor have I had to supplement with electric space heaters. Summer I only run a/c in the bedrooms and only when it's like close to 90º or so. Haven't run the clothes dryer in over a year!

My average monthly usage is around 650kWh in the last 12 months... lowest was 425kWh (July) and highest was 795kWh (Apr). Before the ex moved out I had a few over 2,000kWh and average just about 1500kWh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
I lived in the same house single and married, as well. Usage went up roughly 3x - 4x per month, when she moved in.

Very funny! You just reminded me that the buddy from whom I get all my wood has his house bisected by the county line. Long rancher, and his bedroom and kitchen are in two different zip codes. Unfortunately, I'm momentarily breaking firewood quarantine laws every time I haul wood out of there, since one end of his driveway is in a different county than me.

Your buddy is lucky. He can find the dividing line in his house and have his wife stand over the line with each foot on different sides of the line and take a picture. Then he can brag to all his friends that he has proof that his wifes boobs have separate zip codes

Your buddy is lucky. He can find the dividing line in his house and have his wife stand over the line with each foot on different sides of the line and take a picture. Then he can brag to all his friends that he has proof that his wifes boobs have separate zip codes

Her bottom half as well!

Reactions: Ashful
And his kids can suffer endless, "yo mama's so fat" jokes.

Reactions: brenndatomu
3000sqft ranch including basement well insulated in sw ohio, 3 people, wife is gone 24hrs home 48hrs, Dec 400kwh, Oct 240kwh, July 750kwh.

3000sqft ranch including basement well insulated in sw ohio, 3 people, wife is gone 24hrs home 48hrs, Dec 400kwh, Oct 240kwh, July 750kwh.

You live entirely too close to me to be bragging like that. I have friends in Okeana that will run extension cords from your house to theirs and make that meter spin. Lol I used to stop down in the Okeana Marathon a couple times a week when we lived right down in Shandon.

You live entirely too close to me to be bragging like that. I have friends in Okeana that will run extension cords from your house to theirs and make that meter spin. Lol I used to stop down in the Okeana Marathon a couple times a week when we lived right down in Shandon.
Haha, I actually live closer to Shandon. Off Layhigh near morgan ross. I know my neighbor would like to run an extension cord, There bill was just over $400 last month. Ouch!

Wow that is great for 3 people, I've never got down to 240kWh even shutting most of my breakers off (incl hot water heater) while I was gone for 2 weeks of the month! Gas water heater?

The annual usage report from our electric utility arrived yesterday. For 2016, our all-electric house (except heat from the wood stove) used an average of 249 kWh/month for general service, 482kWh/month for heating, and produced an average of 904kWh/month in PV power purchased by the utility under the net meter law. The PV system reports total PV power produced in 2016 at an average of 1,225kWh/month, which also means that an average of 321kWh/month of PV power was used on-site for general service purposes. For 2016 total general service usage was 6,840kWh, heating 5,784kWh, and PV produced 14,700kWh. On the graph, green is utility furnished general service kWh, orange is utility furnished heating kWh, and blue is utility purchased PV kWh.

upload_2017-1-18_5-43-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-18_5-31-6.png
    upload_2017-1-18_5-31-6.png
    10 KB · Views: 169
So... they're paying you?

Yes ... but I have two other accounts and I transfer credits to cover part of the bills on the other accounts.

I recently found out our utility will buy excess back at the end of the year, at the normal rate they sell it. Which is around 0.15/kwh. Or that's what I read the website to say.

We have no incentives though - but have to say, the idea is growing on me...

Interesting. Our our case, the transmission cost is almost the same as the generation cost. I've never looked into it, but I'd have assumed they'd credit you generation cost while billing you transmission cost, for any surplus.

Interesting. Our our case, the transmission cost is almost the same as the generation cost. I've never looked into it, but I'd have assumed they'd credit you generation cost while billing you transmission cost, for any surplus.

Pretty sure it doesn't work that way. They sell your surplus to someone else, and they charge that person the retail rate...including the same transmission cost. Except that with your solar the transmission is probably just across the street to your neighbors.

Most net metering arrangements require the retail rate for valuing your juice, but I think there is no consensus on whether the surplus need to be reimbursed at all.

We just have two components to our rates - base rate (around $11/mo), and energy at around 0.15/kwh.

If you get into TOD use, the base goes to $18, while the energy goes to 0.08 off-peak, stays at 0.15 'normal hours', and goes to 0.195 on-peak use. This time of the year, on-peak is 7am-12pm, and 4-11pm while off-peak is 11pm-7am. (Which makes it kind of hard to guage if trying to go TOD is really worth it - especially if your current total billings are only $100/mo, +/-. As of now, my answer is still no, for us.)

There is no transmission break-out.