• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Did you contact WETT about his subpar work? How did you pay him? If by credit card I would dispute the payment until his horrible work is fixed correctly.
I’m in contact with the WETT President of western Canada, and he’s aware that this is the second installer, but he’s very sporadic in his replies and his last one, after a week was:

“Sorry, waiting for more pictures from John (second installer).
After Yan (first installer who started a fire) and John, I still don’t know what kind of clearance you have around the chimney to know if you can even vent wood burning into it. So I don’t know what to tell you”

When I asked what he meant by ‘clearances’ he said:

“Clearance betwee chimney and wall of house.”

I offered to send him any measurements he needed but I haven’t heard anything back. Now I’m more confused than ever - can I even have a wood stove?!?!

Here in the US code for an interior chimney says the masonry must have 2” of clearance to all combustibles. 1” if exterior chimney. (Probably the same for Canada but I’m not certain). So if the wall is touching the chimney it’s not to code. These clearance can be reduced 0” IF the liner is insulated to UL standards (I think it’s 1” of ceramic insulation but don’t hold me to it). So if you had a difficult time getting regular 6” down insulated would not fit at all.

My guess he was asking to see if you needed an insulated liner. That would have been another fail if you did not have the clearance and and an un insulated liner was installed.

Most chimneys don’t meet code when built and if they did a roofer might have seen that gap and filled it as is the case for my father in law’s house.

Here in the US code for an interior chimney says the masonry must have 2” of clearance to all combustibles. 1” if exterior chimney. (Probably the same for Canada but I’m not certain). So if the wall is touching the chimney it’s not to code. These clearance can be reduced 0” IF the liner is insulated to UL standards (I think it’s 1” of ceramic insulation but don’t hold me to it). So if you had a difficult time getting regular 6” down insulated would not fit at all.

My guess he was asking to see if you needed an insulated liner. That would have been another fail if you did not have the clearance and and an un insulated liner was installed.

Most chimneys don’t meet code when built and if they did a roofer might have seen that gap and filled it as is the case for my father in law’s house.
Ok, so the masonry has to have clearance from all combustibles - but this is an exterior chimney that runs up the side of the house? It has a clay liner inside, does that count?

So it would need 1” clearance. The clay does not change clearances. Is the clay date or rectangular? To get insulation to fit it will likely need to be broken out. If it’s rectangular it may (and i stress the may part) be possible to use an oval liner.

So it would need 1” clearance. The clay does not change clearances. Is the clay date or rectangular? To get insulation to fit it will likely need to be broken out. If it’s rectangular it may (and i stress the may part) be possible to use an oval liner.
It’s rectangular. I’ve been told breaking the tile out is really difficult? Thank you for all your help!

And insulated oval liner my be an option without breaking out. Research that. I have never broken out liner and will let others comment on how difficult it is.

It’s rectangular. I’ve been told breaking the tile out is really difficult? Thank you for all your help!
It is not really difficult. I think the clearance requirements are a little larger in Canada actually I am thinking 1.5" for exterior but could be wrong. And it's 1/2" of listed wrap insulation or 1" of pour in

Reactions: EbS-P
And yes an oval liner is another option