Bark! (Good Gawd, y'all) What is it good for? Absolutely nothin'!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
jlove1974 said:
i got a bark pile that is like 3 ft tall and growing. Gives my dog something to sniff around and pull field mice out of. I figure eventually one day I'll get a shredder and turn it all into compost faster

I know he loves it, but thats a great way 4 him to get ticks
true. that's why we use Frontline, and that stuff works. The dog is outdoors most hours of the day.

Frontline works . . . when it's <20 °F and there's a foot of freshies on the ground :long:

I have an electric splitter in the basement and I split most of my stuff one more time before I throw it in. This make a mess of splinters and chips not to mentions a lot of the bark comes off here. I wait until I've got a good bed of coals and throw in a few handfuls at a time. This usually gets the secondary combuster roaring and the stack temp climbs. Its short lived though. 20 minutes latter I have to do it again. So its a great way to get rid of my mess, gives me some additional BTU's. I've even gone so far as to load up a plastic tub when I'm doing my splitting outside and drag it down stairs to burn later.
As a number of people have said BTU's are BTU's. I take a perverse pleasure out of getting the most out of my wood and using the least amount of oil. (read zero if possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.