Bees in the ongoing stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EPS

Burning Hunk
Jun 5, 2015
NH
While splitting and stacking some maple just now I spotted a lot more bees coming and going from the stacks than ever before. The wood is close by to a garden, bit it seemed like they are nesting somewhere in the pile.

If this was a completed stack of wood I'd just leave them BEE, but I dont want to rile them up each time I add wood to it, or split the wood next to the stack.

Any suggestions on a spray that I can use to get rid of them that won't contaminate the firewood?

While splitting and stacking some maple just now I spotted a lot more bees coming and going from the stacks than ever before. The wood is close by to a garden, bit it seemed like they are nesting somewhere in the pile.

If this was a completed stack of wood I'd just leave them BEE, but I dont want to rile them up each time I add wood to it, or split the wood next to the stack.

Any suggestions on a spray that I can use to get rid of them that won't contaminate the firewood?

We used to have a powder in Europe that we would out at the entrance (in a wall or so) where (not bees but wasps) went in. They'd track it in and the nest (including the queen) died. I've not found that here in the US. Maybe @EatenByLimestone knows?

I was told this by a beekeeper and it absolutely works. Take a hand carry weed sprayer, fill it with water and one cup of liquid dish soap. Spraying it on the bees clogs their breathing apparatus and kills them quickly and humanely.

If its truly bees nesting in your wood pile a local beekeeper may be interested in recovering the hive. There are also several wild bees that live in NH in addition to honey bees. On the other hand if its wasps or hornets than you either DIY or pay someone.

Just poison them like normal. You can’t “contaminate” the wood pile with insecticide.

We used to have a powder in Europe that we would out at the entrance (in a wall or so) where (not bees but wasps) went in. They'd track it in and the nest (including the queen) died. I've not found that here in the US. Maybe @EatenByLimestone knows?
We use insecticidal dust. We apply it in cracks and crevices, voids, etc.

We don't use it for nests that can be removed as it isn't needed.

In this instance you'd want to use a contact killer to kill the adults. Then the nest can easily be removed. Be careful as, well, it hurts when you get stung.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Might be hard to see the nest with the color contrast, look for grey paper - I'm an expect, hit a baldface hornets nest with the chainsaw last summer, I was reminded of the power of those little guys about 15 times in less then a 10sec. Provided good neighborhood entertainment.

Reactions: D8Chumley
One never knows how fast they can still move until they hit a BFH or YJ nest by accident.

I was told this by a beekeeper and it absolutely works. Take a hand carry weed sprayer, fill it with water and one cup of liquid dish soap. Spraying it on the bees clogs their breathing apparatus and kills them quickly and humanely.
Why kill them?

Reactions: Brewmonster
Could relocate them.
Just bang on the nest a little, in they go.

Pictures.jpg

I would wait till winter then go in there and pull them out.

Reactions: tcassavaugh
If you want to actually kill them, then one shot with a diluted bifenthrin spray in water, at most two will do the trick. It is a contact killer, but they will get a little residual on them and that will be the end, it will kill the nest too. I use it for other pests, but a 32 oz concentrated container lasts me about five or more years worth of spraying (I use if for mosquitoes and ticks, japanese beetles...) If you have a desirable bee population, it is non discriminatory and will get all your honey bees and bumble bees. Diluted it is about 1/2 oz / gallon and that goes a long ways.

I would definitely ask around for beekeepers to relocate if they are honeybees, but if they’re yellow jackets like I have, I would nuke the wood pile.

If they are true honey bees please find a local bee keeper to take them. Hornets or wasp, take a shop vac set it up at the entrance and fill it with water+dish soap and let it run for a couple hours. Did this to get rid of a wasp nest in my sidding.

Reactions: Sawset
If you want to actually kill them, then one shot with a diluted bifenthrin spray in water, at most two will do the trick. It is a contact killer, but they will get a little residual on them and that will be the end, it will kill the nest too. I use it for other pests, but a 32 oz concentrated container lasts me about five or more years worth of spraying (I use if for mosquitoes and ticks, japanese beetles...) If you have a desirable bee population, it is non discriminatory and will get all your honey bees and bumble bees. Diluted it is about 1/2 oz / gallon and that goes a long ways.
I use the same thing around the house. Works great. Had a BFH nest on my front porch and they got the dogs a couple times. I gave the nest a liberal spray and in 1 day there was no activity.