Best maul for me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Have used the same Monster Maul for 30 years. It's getting tired however.

My 8 pound iso core is a great workout. I can’t swing it more than 30 minutes without a good break. I have two double bits that are fun. And a 4.5 pound Kelly works true temper on a 36” handle that sees most of the action. It depends on the wood what axe I use. The bigger yellow pine rounds needed the maul to split in half. After that I could pick any of my axes till I got to a big knot. I swung an x27 for the first time this week on the butt of a rotted out red maple. It worked but it didn’t split it self.

the only wood 16” and under I needed the maul for was dogwood. Not even the 8 pounder can take on crotches and big limb knots. For the price they are worth it if you need it. I like Buckin Billy Rays philosophy on spitting.

I have X27 and Stihl Pro splitting maul, and like both of them. I would have liked to have tried the iso core, but it wasn't available at the time.
X-27: It's tough to beat value of X27. It's an effective splitting maul - good head design, and light head weight allow for good striking speed.

Stihl Pro splitting maul: I like its wood handle and appreciate its overall design and construction. It holds a slight edge on somewhat stringier chunks. It tends to plow through with bit more oomph at end.
Both meet their limits, and it's time to break out saw and noodle (or pass them up).

Look at the Wilton bash maul it is 6 lb and 8 lb indestructible, plus it can be used to hit wedges. I love mine it goes through everything. plus I think if you do break it it has a pretty good warranty.
B.A.S.H $1000 Guarantee

WILTON B.A.S.H® Striking Tools with Unbreakable® Handle Technology are quite simply the most durable on the market, outperforming wood and fiberglass handled hammers strike after strike. We are so confident in the WILTON B.A.S.H® Unbreakable® Handle Technology that for 2 full years after purchase, break the handle under normal wear and tear and receive $1,000.
JPW Industries will pay you $1,000 in cash if the handle of a B.A.S.H® hammer you own breaks (severs) during normal use within two years after the date of purchase. This payment is in lieu of any other remedy for a product defect you may have, including breach of any other express or implied warranties. The B.A.S.H® $1,000 Guarantee does not apply to breakage that results from use of the hammer other than as a hand-held striking tool, nor to defects involving the hammer head, including but not limited to, separation of the head from the handle or head breaking.

I never heard of the Wilton Bash, I just looked it up. That looks like a good maul. Looks similar to the Fiskars.
I already have a Fiskars and a Monster Maul, or else, I would buy a Wilton right now.

I'm a fan of it plus the warranty is nice it is indestructible.

I always don’t use my gnarly pieces of big fork sections cause I split all by hand. I’m actually just using and old axe which surprisingly splits well. But it’s time I get a real splitting maul
I use an ax, and mauls (6 and 8lbs.) and that covers about the toughest stuff I want to mess with. I'm an old man, and need to preserve my body at this point. ;lol
Use the lightest tool that will do the job, buck those crotches real short with the saw, like 12" or less to where they are easy to split, and make some chunks. You can even rip-cut (noodle) the short-bucked stuff the rest of the way, if you don't wanna split it.
the monster maul is great....the only bad thing about it is the steel handle has no forgiveness on hard to split rounds and your hands bear the brunt of the vibration lol.
Yeah, that thing is brutal. The handle on mine is broke up by the head, and I'm in no hurry to fix it. ;lol
But the way to minimize shock is to hold whatever you are using, as light as you possibly can without losing your grip on it. Good, grabby gloves sure help:

Swing an ax or maul like a golf club.."try to stick the butt of the handle into the ground." Start with your arms at a right angle to the handle. I will even let the handle hang straight down behind my back, then do a squat move to initiate the swing. Don't try to muscle the head into the wood; The best speed will come when you just try to stick the butt of the handle into the ground, and centrifugal force will pull the handle into a straight line with your arms by the time you reach impact. And grip light.."like you were holding a baby bird" as Sam Snead said.
Using a short chopping block, like 8" or under, will give your swing more time to build head speed.
someone on here awhile ago scientifically explained how axe speed is better than the weight/mass of the axe itself.
That's true to a point, but sometimes you need the inertia of 8-pounder to plow through some of that tough stuff. :mad: A wedge and sledge can be useful too.

I cut my first load of the year today. About a half an hour from the house I remembered what I forgot. The maul. I got by with an axe, but most of the splitting was done after getting home. I am not going to address brands, but simply state that an 8LB maul is managealbe by most average sized people. Mine in an 8LB maul with no visible name that I picked up used in 1974 or 75.

I've got a 12LB sledge that is too unwieldly and after using that I would not even think of buying any maul over 8LB. I tried the monster maul with the steel handle once, and it abused me more than the wood.

Reactions: Ashful
tried the monster maul with the steel handle once, and it abused me more than the wood.
Same here, we have one in the yard at work, figured I'd try splitting a few bigger rounds with it to see if it was worth anything, oh boy, it kicked my ass and I'm in my early 30's, big no go for me.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Look at the Wilton bash maul it is 6 lb and 8 lb indestructible, plus it can be used to hit wedges. I love mine it goes through everything. plus I think if you do break it it has a pretty good warranty.

I have a 14 lb wilton bash sledge hammer i used too use when i did ironwork. Its a beast and has the same warranty and i can voucj that it is indestructable. I didnt realize they made mauls as well. I gotta check that out.

Yeah, that thing is brutal. The handle on mine is broke up by the head, and I'm in no hurry to fix it. ;lol
But the way to minimize shock is to hold whatever you are using, as light as you possibly can without losing your grip on it. Good, grabby gloves sure help:

Lol...Yea i figured that out about ten years ago after i was in bed and my hands felt like they had springs in them. I seldom have troubles with it now but when i first got it....wow.

Same here, we have one in the yard at work, figured I'd try splitting a few bigger rounds with it to see if it was worth anything, oh boy, it kicked my ass and I'm in my early 30's, big no go for me.
It will bludgeon through some tough stuff, though..if you can get it moving. ;lol

It will bludgeon through some tough stuff, though..if you can get it moving. ;lol
I dont have that anger in me no more, especially when I have hydro power at my finger tips, I'm in the long haul now, no sense in injuring myself for a couple of splits.

I dont have that anger in me no more, especially when I have hydro power at my finger tips, I'm in the long haul now, no sense in injuring myself for a couple of splits.
Yep, now I just split the easy stuff for fun, the toughies go to the power splitter. ==c

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Im 5’6” 130lbs with the X27 and its more than I ever need. I have logs that are 36” in diameter that I haven’t cut yet. I think for that I will need the log splitter.

I dont have that anger in me no more,
Not burning the candle at both ends anymore here either.
Used to use an off the shelf 8lb no name maul for everything 4-5cord / year, rent for the knotted stuff.
Tend not to develop a love affair with "stuff", so something sharp, with a hickory handle was just fine.
Now hydraulic for everything, for an hour at a time.

Im 5’6” 130lbs with the X27 and its more than I ever need. I have logs that are 36” in diameter that I haven’t cut yet. I think for that I will need the log splitter.
WIth the right tools and technique, you might surprise yourself. Some of the longest hitters on the PGA Tour aren't big guys by any means. >>
Sometimes with those big rounds, depending on what specie, you can work your way around the circumference, cleaving off slabs.

A little off topic, but here is a tip for splitting that has improved my productivity as much or more than getting the Fiskars x27---get yourself an old tire that you can use to sit rounds in. Not only do I not have to chase chunks of wood, they don't come back and crack me in the shin.

I live in a hilly area and cut a lot of wood down in hollers and uneven ground. I split my wood where i cut it. The tire does work great for keeping the rounds standing up as you split around it. Even if its a smaller round if it falls and leans against the tire i can usually split it still or lean it up with my foot and save myself bending over more than i have too already.

I had 2 giant maples cut down 2 years ago and did it all by hand. There's no sense trying to open up a 36" seam.

Attachments

• photostudio_1578386203686.jpg
    photostudio_1578386203686.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 256
I had 2 giant maples cut down 2 years ago and did it all by hand. There's no sense trying to open up a 36" seam.
Yes, that what I would do. I have done that with some of them, but not the 36" ones...............yet.

At 70 I prefer my 22-ton gas-fired:p splitting maul
At 52 I like my 22-ton splitter. However, I still split some with the maul as well. I really like the Prandi Splitting Maul.

Reactions: Ashful
68 in Feb. I'll keep swinging the 8 pounder for a few more years.
Me too, but I'll be swinging the 6 more than the 8. ==c

A little off topic, but here is a tip for splitting that has improved my productivity as much or more than getting the Fiskars x27---get yourself an old tire that you can use to sit rounds in. Not only do I not have to chase chunks of wood, they don't come back and crack me in the shin.

I Like using a bunge with a chain to hold the splits together. Easy to adjust to any size.