Best maul for me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Grizzerbear I have the 20 lb sledge it was great for demo jobs with destroying concrete slabs driveways etc. But it takes it out of you, it will drive a wedge through any piece of wood to. Their maul is a beast as well I have no complaints.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Grizzerbear I have the 20 lb sledge it was great for demo jobs with destroying concrete slabs driveways etc. But it takes it out of you, it will drive a wedge through any piece of wood to. Their maul is a beast as well I have no complaints.

20lb! Good lord john henry lol. I will have to give them a look. I for sure love my sledge. I like the handle design with the steel rods embedded inside running to the head. Does the maul vibrate much to the hands?

Reactions: heavy hammer
20lb! Good lord john henry lol. I will have to give them a look. I for sure love my sledge.
Yikes, the Monstah about kills me at 12#. _g
Sledge and wedge is awesome. ==c

No vibration at all but it takes it out of you swinging it. I like Wilton's products very tough design.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I'll have to look for one of these 20 pounders. I have to collapse the old cistern this spring. I pretended I was teeing off with the 12 pounder and put a couple of cracks in one of the walls as a test. The 20 should do some damage, if not to me to the wall. To stay on topic, I might even try splitting some bull pine with it.

I Like using a bunge with a chain to hold the splits together. Easy to adjust to any size.
Ditto. This is the way to go. Any round small enough to actually fit in a typical tire, I’m picking it up and setting it on my splitter, or at least setting the splitter vertical to walk the round onto the foot plate. The only stuff I hand split is probably at least 36” in diameter, and I don’t want to store a tire that big in my back yard.

09CAD07A-D0DC-4162-A1D5-7BF28CCF8EEC.jpeg

Oh, and everyone should watch the video linked in this post. Note the chain and bungee or strap.
Not only does @AlbergSteve know his way around a splitting axe, he’ll make you one bad ass espresso when he’s done. A true renaissance man.
This year I've upgraded to a Fiskars 8lb IsoCore from some cheap splitting axes that I've been using for years, what a difference! I find it a good balance between a splitting axe and a monster maul and can swing it for a couple of hours without issue. Splitting is a bit of a Zen exercise for me, I don't go into the wood pile and start swinging like a helicopter like some guys do. I find the narrower axes (X27) tend to stick in the wood and the monster maul is a bit blunt and tends to twist a lot, playing havoc with my wrists and hands. This past winter and spring I split over 12 cords of cedar and Doug fir.

Here's my IsoCore maul in action...

Ditto. This is the way to go. Any round small enough to actually fit in a typical tire, I’m picking it up and setting it on my splitter, or at least setting the splitter vertical to walk the round onto the foot plate. The only stuff I hand split is probably at least 36” in diameter, and I don’t want to store a tire that big in my back yard.

View attachment 255022
Good point.

I've noticed tires changing on this type of heavy equipment, gone are solid sidewalls and holding air, now the sidewalls are open grids. No more flat tires. But I digress...

Oh, and everyone should watch the video linked in this post. Note the chain and bungee or strap.
Not only does @AlbergSteve know his way around a splitting axe, he’ll make you one bad ass espresso when he’s done. A true renaissance man.
You should see my pie making skills in action... ;lol

Reactions: Ashful