Best moisture tester

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sleepy said:
I tried the ohms test on some wood I brought home Saturday. It was cut into 8' logs over a year ago and left on a pile on the ground. After cutting and splitting, I got out my good ohmmeter and the chart. Trouble was, the reading would not stay constant. The resistance reading slowly climbed and I really had no idea what I actually had.

So Sunday I ordered a moisture meter from Harbor Freight.

Ditto.... I ordered mine last week.... I hope the hell it works...

To those who bought meters but never reported back - which one did you get and is it giving you useful info?

precaud said:
To those who bought meters but never reported back - which one did you get and is it giving you useful info?

Mine was $12 ($20 shipped) from Harbor Freight. It is small and has a digital display. I have only used it a couple of times, but the readings are consistent and seem reasonable. I checked some standing dead cherry right after it was cut and split and it read around 40%. I split a piece of ash that should have been dry and the tester showed it to be 18%. I get differing readings from one piece to another, but close readings on the same piece at different places.

Here is a link: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=67143

Status
Not open for further replies.