Best time of year for buying a splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I got the Forest King 37T for $899 at Menards. Dumped in 5.0 gallons of universal fluid, fluid level looks ok after use. Crate was 647 pounds. Was a massive pain to join the fluid/wheels piece to the splitter/cylinder piece. Broke the gas cap after a few splits, it sticks out and is not protected at all by falling splits. Also, this thing is so heavy it can barely be moved by one person on level ground. It splits like a beast though.

I got the Forest King 37T for $899 at Menards. Dumped in 5.0 gallons of universal fluid, fluid level looks ok after use. Crate was 647 pounds. Was a massive pain to join the fluid/wheels piece to the splitter/cylinder piece. Broke the gas cap after a few splits, it sticks out and is not protected at all by falling splits. Also, this thing is so heavy it can barely be moved by one person on level ground. It splits like a beast though.
I got it for that price on their 3 day BF sale. Are you sure your topped up with hydraulic fluid? I put 5.5 gallons in mine and it was still low. I have another 5 gallon bucket but I’m waiting until spring to look at it again. Too cold up here now to do much of anything outside. I had to get help to get the beam and ram out of my truck but it wasn’t too bad to hook it up to the wheel section then. And yes it is heavy but I always have my ATV handy to move it if I need to. 2 people can move it around some too.

I got it for that price on their 3 day BF sale. Are you sure your topped up with hydraulic fluid? I put 5.5 gallons in mine and it was still low. I have another 5 gallon bucket but I’m waiting until spring to look at it again. Too cold up here now to do much of anything outside. I had to get help to get the beam and ram out of my truck but it wasn’t too bad to hook it up to the wheel section then. And yes it is heavy but I always have my ATV handy to move it if I need to. 2 people can move it around some too.

If I recall, the dipstick registered fluid near the bottom of the dipstick. I don't think it's very critical to be at the top of the dipstick for a hydraulic splitter. Will check when it's warmer as well, heat wave this weekend!