Best way to make kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
They clear power limes here all the time. The wood never has a chance to sit because locals show up and scrounge it.
Nobody around here would let the power company take their trees anyway, lol.

They clear power limes here all the time. The wood never has a chance to sit because locals show up and scrounge it.
Nobody around here would let the power company take their trees anyway, lol.

The locals - i.e. the smart folks that get it before it rots (as one signature says on this forum) or at least before it's chipped up...

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
I always seem to have boxes of it from splitting wood. During clean up after splitting a couple cords I just pick up all the thick to thin slivers and put them in the out building on a big piece of cardboard to dry out.

Once it dries, I stack it all in small 10x10 boxes. As winter rolls through I bring in a box for the week. Honestly though, if I start a fire in October the stove usually burns non stop until March.

Last edited:
Reactions: stoveliker
I stole your idea, had the piece of I beam laying around for an “anvil” and used a grinder to sharpen one end of the web. It serves two purposes now! Like you all have said keep an eye out for the stuff that’s easy to split and just smack it with another piece of firewood and instant kindling.

it also works good to shave off the point of a wedge shaped split to get it square ish.
E1245D7F-A541-4431-9FD5-D9A9A1710B42.jpeg 12158F3D-773E-4486-B255-5338EC78FC23.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesGuido