BIG E Thermostat Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

conniemadagain

Dec 31, 2015
Arizona
Hello All ...

I have always used a Honeywell millivolt thermostat to operate the stove ...

Now the problem/questions ...

Last week in on/off mode the stove would not come on when setting the thermostat ...
I guess the thermostat can go bad or what else ?

In High/Low mode I hit the on button and it fires right up but when setting the thermostat to temp the stove never changes between high or low ...
Again bad thermostat or something else ?

In manual it does what ever I set it to ...

I hope I explained this so it is understandable ... THANK YOU in advance !!

Welcome to the forum! Have you check thermostat connections are still in place and secure?

Edit: What stove?

yes i checked the connections ... big e 1000 ...

You say in manual the stove will run, do you mean manual on the stove or the tstat block?

There should be a button/slide switch on the reciever or block that attaches to the stove if wireless. IF not wireless then it will be on the tstat itself. It may have ON-OFF-AUTO, or just OFF-AUTO, or MANUAL-AUTO, maybe not in that order. Is that switch in AUTO? That's where it should be for the tstat to run the stove. I bumped mine a few years ago and it threw me for a loop when starting the stove for the first time that season.

Also if it's a wireless, pull the batteries from both parts, let it sit for 10 minutes, reinstall. You just may not have a wireless connection between the transmitter and the tstat itself.

Last edited:
You say in manual the stove will run, do you mean manual on the stove or the tstat block.
There should be a button/slide switch on the transmitter or block that attaches to the stove. It may have ON-OFF-AUTO, or just OFF-AUTO, or MANUAL-AUTO, maybe not in that order. Is that switch in AUTO? That's where it should be for the tstat to run the stove. I bumped mine a few years ago and it threw me for a loop when starting the stove for the first time that season.

In "manual setting" it does whatever I set it to ... it was not bumped ...

it has 3 settings:
1. manual
2. high/low (use with thermostat)
3. on/off (use with thermostat)

The problem is when in 2 or 3 where you use the thermostat ...

wired ...
i have a volt meter but i only used it to test for 12 volts ...
you'd have to talk me though for reading ohms ...

OK, on your meter there should be a setting that looks like an upside down U a horseshoe looking symbol. When you turn it on without the probes touching you will see what it looks like for infinite resistance, meaning no connection between the probes. Then touch the probes together, you will see the meter change state to show very little to no resistance.

Unless you have some clips for the probes it would help to have two people to do this. Touch the probes across one each of the two wires that are on the tstat. Observe what the meter shows, resistance or no resistance. When the tstat reaches the set temperature for it to call for heat the circuit should close and show no resistance. If the tstat doesn't change the state of the meter and it remains in infinite resistance then the tstat is probably shot. Ask more if you need, it can be a little confusing at first.

OK, on your meter there should be a setting that looks like an upside down U a horseshoe looking symbol. When you turn it on without the probes touching you will see what it looks like for infinite resistance, meaning no connection between the probes. Then touch the probes together, you will see the meter change state to show very little to no resistance.

Unless you have some clips for the probes it would help to have two people to do this. Touch the probes across one each of the two wires that are on the tstat. Observe what the meter shows, resistance or no resistance. When the tstat reaches the set temperature for it to call for heat the circuit should close and show no resistance. If the tstat doesn't change the state of the meter and it remains in infinite resistance then the tstat is probably shot. Ask more if you need, it can be a little confusing at first.

for the symbol I have the following numbers:
2000k, 200k 20k 2000 & 200 ... when i 1st turn it on it reads -1 was set at 2000k ...

Last edited:
for the symbol I have the following numbers:
2000k, 200k 20k 2000 & 200 ... when i 1st turn it on it reads -1
IF you have all of those do you have a symbol that looks like musical notes? Or a symbol that looks like an upside down arrow pointing through a line? If so set it to that, look at the readout and then touch the probes together. Other wise set it to the 200.

the arrow you mentioned ... is that to the right of the 200 ?

Attachments

• 20151231_115104.jpg
    20151231_115104.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 225
the arrow you mentioned ... is that to the right of the 200 ?

Yes, that's the symbol. Also on your meter, there should be settings for DCV, is there one that shows like 200m?

yes ... 200m

OK, there are two tests that you can make. Not knowing or seeing the schematic of the tstat itself I don't know if it uses any type of mechanical contact to open or close the circuit. Take the wires off the tstat, use the meter set on the arrow position, observe what it looks like with the probes not touching, touch the probes together and that will show the state of a closed circuit.

Change the tstat to say 60* and wait for 10 minutes for it to reset. Attach or hold the probes to the two screws that the wires were on. You should see that the circuit is open. If you have clips you can leave the probes attached, if not it's not a big deal but now set the tstat to 80* reattach the probes and watch if the meter changes state to an closed circuit. If it does then for sure it is not the tstat. But if it doesn't then you need to test again using that 200m DCV position on the meter because it may be a signal being sent to the board instead of just a mechanical type of connection.

To do the test using DCV just set it to 200m and change the tstat temps again and see if a signal is sent (a small amount of millivolts) when you set it to 80*. No signal at 60*. These changes may take several minutes as there is usually a dwell time in electronics or it could change within a few seconds. If it changes then you something else going on like the stoves control board or a bad wire from the tstat to the stove.

I believe most use just an 18awg wire and it doesn't take much to damage them. You could test those wires also.

I'm suffering through the flu here so some of my thoughts are scrambled and I have to rethink a couple of things but will help you get to the bottom if it's the tstat

Last edited:
OK, there are two tests that you can make. Not knowing or seeing the schematic of the tstat itself I don't know if it uses any type of mechanical contact to open or close the circuit. Take the wires off the tstat, use the meter set on the arrow position, observe what it looks like with the probes not touching, touch the probes together and that will show the state of a closed circuit.

Change the tstat to say 60* and wait for 10 minutes for it to reset. Attach or hold the probes to the two screws that the wires were on. You should see that the circuit is closed. If you have clips you can leave the probes attached, if not it's not a big deal but now set the tstat to 80* reattach the probes and watch if the meter changes state to an open circuit. If it does then for sure it is not the tstat. But if it doesn't then you need to test again using that 200m DCV position on the meter because it may be a signal being sent to the board instead of just a mechanical type of connection.

To do the test using DCV just set it to 200m and change the tstat temps again and see if a signal is sent at 60* and then if the signal stops when you set it to 80*. These changes may take several minutes as there is usually a dwell time in electronics or it could change within a few seconds.
On arrow not touching probes it read "1"
on arrow touching probes it reads "flashing (-) and 1"
touching tstat at 60 reads "1"
touching tstat at 80 read "1" ... no change

on 200m DCV
at "0.00 to 0.01"
at 80 "0.00 to 0.01"
but numbers bounce around and i have to let them settle ...

On arrow not touching probes it read "1"
on arrow touching probes it reads "flashing (-) and 1"
touching tstat at 60 reads "1"
touching tstat at 80 read "1" ... no change

on 200m DCV
at "0.00 to 0.01"
at 80 "0.00 to 0.01"
but numbers bounce around and i have to let them settle ...

That's showing no change of state mechanically or electronically. Is there a reset button on the tstat somewhere? Usually the will be small hole just big enough to get a pin or paperclip into. If so push it and see if that helps. Otherwise I'd say it's the tsat.

The number bouncing around is normal but it would change enough that you would know a signal or not. I'd still go over those wires to the stove just to make sure but it doesn't look like that's the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.