Big Nor’Easter this Tuesday - R u Ready?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
They just upgraded the total snowfall here to
10 “ - 18” !!!

Attachments

• 24A70D43-7D14-4D38-96C5-BE64720204E9.png
    24A70D43-7D14-4D38-96C5-BE64720204E9.png
    829.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 42EB6FA6-484A-4026-B4AF-9A8296C8AE9C.png
    42EB6FA6-484A-4026-B4AF-9A8296C8AE9C.png
    707.9 KB · Views: 104
NOAA is calling for a storm total of 6 inches of snow, most of that should fall starting tomorrow afternoon or night.

We have well over 13” on Long Island..
We're abouts are you? I'm north westernish Suffolk. I don't know what we have so far by me. !3-14" sounds about right but of course very drifty. My large snowblower is an old 26" 8hp and many spots were at top and even over the auger housing. Coulda used drift cutters.

We are a little under a foot at this point. It has slowed down but is supposed to pick up again later.

Over 1 foot here, in Icy Hollow.

In for the night !

Neighboring towns reported 21" and 22" according to the morning news. Doesn't look like that much just looking outside. I'll measure it later when I do the driveway.

This was on my town's Nextdoor page with the caption "everyone say a prayer for N. Reading tonight." :)

Attachments

• Snow totals - Copy.jpg
    Snow totals - Copy.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: firefighterjake
6" and counting at 7AM a few miles north of Mt Washington. When northeasters move up the coast its nice to be hiding behind lot of tall mountains. No doubt the towns south of mountains closer to the cast like North Conway will get dumped on.

16 to 18 in Central Pa. Something going on here. While going around to 5 properties i have to clear 4 of them had already been done by the neighbors . Was pleasantly surprised. In return i helped my neighbor with his to sort of pay it forward.

I just finished clearing the snow around the house about an hour ago. Took us nine hours working in town to keep the commercial lots cleared. Hard to tell with the ice and snow mixed in, but I think we got about 10" total. I'm thankful we didn't get the multiple feet other places got!

I hope this next storm brings more snow . . . but I don't have my hopes up. I think we only got 6-7 inches at most. Very disappointing.

I hope this next storm brings more snow . . . but I don't have my hopes up. I think we only got 6-7 inches at most. Very disappointing.
If it snows again I just hope that it stays cold instead of having rain and ice mixed with the snow. It was so hard to shovel once it started to get saturated. I broke a couple of shear bolts on my 3pt snowblower yesterday, partly due to how heavy the snow is, but also because I was using some undersized bolts I had laying around instead of the actual shear bolt.

If it snows again I just hope that it stays cold instead of having rain and ice mixed with the snow. It was so hard to shovel once it started to get saturated. I broke a couple of shear bolts on my 3pt snowblower yesterday, partly due to how heavy the snow is, but also because I was using some undersized bolts I had laying around instead of the actual shear bolt.

Here in Unity it stayed mostly powder . . . although in Bangor it crusted up a bit with a few different layers of ice, freezing rain, etc.

Thought I could fit the snowblower between my Escape and the orange fiberglass driveway marker. Nope. :)
20210202_111655 - Copy.jpg

Reactions: thewoodlands
Street department repaired the hydrant that was snapped off by a plow backing up while clearing the street during an earlier snowstorm. :)

Attachments

• 20210106_101048 - Copy.jpg
    20210106_101048 - Copy.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 112
3-6” Sunday during the big Super Bowl!

Attachments

• 40557328-0FD9-4DA5-BAB7-D032B4AED95B.png
    40557328-0FD9-4DA5-BAB7-D032B4AED95B.png
    872 KB · Views: 99
Yes. O.k. Oddly enough a guy also in MA on a car site I frequent did an orange driveway marker in his snowblower the same day. It was a first for him, too.

We are looking at 5-9" inches in our region. This morning it said 2-4", so who knows.

Screenshot_20210206-161717_AccuWeather.jpg

I'm a little late to the party here. We got a good amount of snow here from last week's storm, I'm guessing around 20" or so.

I made these raised garden beds last summer and they are 24" tall so that's why I'm thinking it's about 20"
IMG_20210202_140752.jpg

My old IHC Scout handled it like a champ. Best $50 I ever spent.
IMG_20210202_140637.jpg

When I was doing the paths with my snowblower, it was giving me a lot of resistance. I had to fight for every inch. I just figured it was because of how much snow there was. A couple days after the storm I was looking at the snowblower and realized I had broken a shear pin so only one half of the auger had been working. No wonder it was so hard to push it through the snow.

Forecast is calling for another 3-5" tomorrow, so I'll be at it again on Wednesday morning.

Thought I could fit the snowblower between my Escape and the orange fiberglass driveway marker. Nope. :) View attachment 273804
I sucked up a flashlight. That was fun. Thankfully I was just doing final unnecessary edge cleanup. Damaged one of the rubber impeller paddles from my impeller mod. I'll replace it but it probably would work fine. Going to replace auger belt while I'm at it but I suspect it was already on the way out as old as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.