Big Saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Our neighbor's old maple is now down. It's a real shame to see it go, they are heartbroken, but the tree was starting to rot from the center. Here's a couple shots of the final cuts. Note the whopper Husky saw. That's a 4' bar on it, 125cc. Big saw will be visiting us next week. We have an english elm that needs to go. Looks like we'll be burning hardwood next year if I can get the stuff split.

Attachments

• big_saw_sm.jpg
    big_saw_sm.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 725
  • bigsaw2_sm.jpg
    bigsaw2_sm.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 697
How did i miss this post ?!?!?!?! Looks like everybody missed it ?Sorry bout' dat brotherman. Its sad to see a tree as ones "Yard Art" go bad . Not like you can just go down to the store and buy a new one of the same size. I keep it a point that any and all trees that i cut are one there way out because on natural issues or storm damaged trees and 60% of the trees i get are because they are going to be taken down anyway for one reason or another . ( new house , new building , farmers take them down, tree rows need thinning) I have a big male mulberry tree in the back yard i have been baby sitting for 3 years now trying to save it but the out look dont look good . Lots of Elms and a few Ash trees here in the neighborhood that are one there way out . The good news is there is a tree farm in town and have a lot of 2-7 year old trees for sale . We just bought 3 new trees to add the the yard , big 15' tall crabapple , 12' purple plum & a 8' red bud tree . We have 3 silver maple growing at the tree farm already ordered for next year to replace an old Elm west of the house that is about gone . There are a lot of people that want a tree cut down and ask me to do the job and a lot of the time i can talk them out of it and give the tree a 3 year chance and offer to help them trim it up . dont like to hack it up in 1 year - lite trim it a little per year, care over 3 years . If it dont come out of it then it might be best if it goes . End up saving about 70% of the trees that were thought to be BAD and was going to get the axe . Now if its a safty issue in the first place then there is no question . BTW Thats a big ole bar and a monster chainsaw .

Yes, the sad thing is that the big tree's demise was accelerated by a previous "arborist" giving it a crew cut. This is a real bad idea for old soft maples. Five years later and it was rotting in the core. Lost a major limb across the road. We've been fortunate to have been forewarned and have only gently trimmed our older maples.

That IS one whopping bar. The tree cutter showed up with about 5 saws on his truck. He rarely pulls out big bertha. I think it was originally designed to pull double duty in a portable saw mill.

125 cc? WOW!!!! Think about it this way...A 125 cc dirt bike is like a 30 horse motor (does a chainsaw have THAT much?) That is a very scary saw.

Thats a Husqvarna 3120XP
Power & Weight Specs
Engine Size (Displacement)
7.3 cubic inch or 119 cc

Engine Power measured by Husqvarna
9.2 bhp

Will work good for milling , Stihl 084 will out cut it hands down.

That's probably the same saw as the guy is using in my avatar. It's the biggest saw Husqvarna makes, and you do need that much power for big trees.

I've got an old Jonsereds Model 90 that has a 90 cc engine. It's a heavy brute, but great for cutting up big wood. Not the kind of saw you would want to carry around all day, but I know guys who did that and thought nothing of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.