Big Wood the Easy Way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
Or maybe the expensive way depending on how you look at. Anyway I was noodling down some big ash rounds and thought it was a chance to explain how I take care of big but logs. For those of you that think just flipping the splitter vertical is the answer I would like to see you scoot a 4' diameter by 24" long cookie and get it on the foot. Took me just a few minutes to have it cut down to manageable pieces.
Since most people don't have a grapple I'll take pictures on my next big job in the coming week. I have a 4' diameter plus oak to take down and I won't have the tractor their to help me. But there is a technique to tackling those big rounds without the aid of hydraulics. Its just a little slower.

Attachments

• IMG00779-20111203-1546.jpg
    IMG00779-20111203-1546.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 712
  • IMG00780-20111203-1547.jpg
    IMG00780-20111203-1547.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 702
that is some big looking wood what type of tractor

wkpoor, it's always nice when you can make the work easier.

zap

maple man said:
that is some big looking wood what type of tractor
JD5400

wkpoor said:
Or maybe the expensive way depending on how you look at. Anyway I was noodling down some big ash rounds and thought it was a chance to explain how I take care of big but logs. For those of you that think just flipping the splitter vertical is the answer I would like to see you scoot a 4' diameter by 24" long cookie and get it on the foot. Took me just a few minutes to have it cut down to manageable pieces.
Since most people don't have a grapple I'll take pictures on my next big job in the coming week. I have a 4' diameter plus oak to take down and I won't have the tractor their to help me. But there is a technique to tackling those big rounds without the aid of hydraulics. Its just a little slower.

Do you have a shop vac out of camera view to clean up all the stringy wood from the rip cut you made in the wood? LOL. Nice equipment.

Do you have a shop vac out of camera view to clean up all the stringy wood from the rip cut you made in the wood? LOL. Nice equipment.
Yeh it sure does make alot of noodles but I found out yrs ago they make fantastic fire starter but it kinda messy to deal with. In the spring I'll rake it all with the landscape rake and dump it and all the other mess associated with wood processing into the woods to rot and make soil for more trees.

If I ever get into something that big, I'd have to noodle it to get it on the trailer.
Not sure I could stand one up to noodle it.
Good demo pics, (except for cheating with the hydraulic helper :) )
Some pics of doing it in the field would be great.

bogydave said:
If I ever get into something that big, I'd have to noodle it to get it on the trailer.
Not sure I could stand one up to noodle it.
Good demo pics, (except for cheating with the hydraulic helper :) )
Some pics of doing it in the field would be great.
I'll be sure and take pics f how I tackle the big logs in the field without the grapple. Hope to be able to work on one next week unless weather of job gets in the way.

wkpoor said:

wkpoor, most folks don't have to deal with anything that big and if so, having the tractor is a blessing for sure. However, since you took a shot at the vertical splitting I will tell you we have split some larger stuff than that. Probably heavier too as the biggest stuff we've split was one humgous white oak (Yes, we considered using sledge and wedge to break them in half first but did not do it). As for dropping on foot, it appears you would be much more in line to drop one on your foot! Personally, I've never dropped one on my foot when splitting but probably would if I split horizontally which is not likely to happen.

So it is great to have the heavy equipment when you need it but all do not need it. As for the splitting, perhaps it is all in technique because I've watched some folks using a hydraulic splitter and they worked harder than I would if I split by hand.

I love that grapple Bill. I've been thinking of getting a skidsteer with a grapple. I though about getting one for my big kubota but its just too big to get around in the woods with.

Billy

Rather than noodle it all the way through, some folk will just noodle down a few inches and then pound in a couple of wedges with a sledge.

Backwoods Savage said:
wkpoor said:

wkpoor, most folks don't have to deal with anything that big and if so, having the tractor is a blessing for sure. However, since you took a shot at the vertical splitting I will tell you we have split some larger stuff than that. Probably heavier too as the biggest stuff we've split was one humgous white oak (Yes, we considered using sledge and wedge to break them in half first but did not do it). As for dropping on foot, it appears you would be much more in line to drop one on your foot! Personally, I've never dropped one on my foot when splitting but probably would if I split horizontally which is not likely to happen.

So it is great to have the heavy equipment when you need it but all do not need it. As for the splitting, perhaps it is all in technique because I've watched some folks using a hydraulic splitter and they worked harder than I would if I split by hand.
Dennis, you misunderstood me. I meant dropping it on the splitter foot. Once a big round like that gets knocked over they are all but impossible to move. And then a round that size probably won't crack all the way so it will need repostioned. By the time I try all those tricks I'll have it noodled and forgot about.

LLigetfa said:
Rather than noodle it all the way through, some folk will just noodle down a few inches and then pound in a couple of wedges with a sledge.
Your right. I could have wedged it before I got clear through, or......just lift it way up and drop it. Done that too.

Wood shavings from cutting like that will make some very ideal kindling starter. On the toher had I like your green assistant.

I'd just love to have some good fire wood here that size to try these various methods on.
We have some 5' + diameter cottonwood, but not the best fire wood.
my trouble is when I get a 24" or bigger birch, (rare but every now & then) I know better than to lift it, noodling may be the answer so I can get it on the trailer.
They bust up pretty easy with a maul, unless there's a knot, then it usually becomes a splitting stump or get left behind.
A trick I'll remember for next time.

wkpoor said:
Backwoods Savage said:
wkpoor said:

Dennis, you misunderstood me. I meant dropping it on the splitter foot. Once a big round like that gets knocked over they are all but impossible to move. And then a round that size probably won't crack all the way so it will need repostioned. By the time I try all those tricks I'll have it noodled and forgot about.

Sorry to have misunderstood. No malice intended for sure.

For sure if it were too big I'd hand split it first so that only half had to be handled. As for dropping it onto the splitter foot, that ain't going to happen. I do tip the logs a bit to roll them but would not drop one from a standing position onto the splitter.

Cowboy Billy said:
I love that grapple Bill. I've been thinking of getting a skidsteer with a grapple. I though about getting one for my big kubota but its just too big to get around in the woods with.

Billy
Hey Billy good to see you on here. You need one!! hehehe yeh you need one no matter what you put it on. BTW doesn't your Orange tractor have the skid steer mount so you could use it on either?

Dennis, I realize that was an extreme example and most people for good reason don't even bother with that kind of wood. I obviously can deal with them so I kind like getting stuff that size. Makes for a lot of firewood quick and most of it will be bark free.

Well I'd like to borrow that tractor for a few days. I'm going to have a mess where they cut our pines and I'm thinking a rake on a fel would work pretty good. Make some big piles, throw in a couple super cedars and watch them burn.

Backwoods Savage said:
Well I'd like to borrow that tractor for a few days. I'm going to have a mess where they cut our pines and I'm thinking a rake on a fel would work pretty good. Make some big piles, throw in a couple super cedars and watch them burn.
You need to get with Cowboy, he lives up in your neck of the woods.
Actually a landscape rake on the rear and that root grapple on the front can do a dandy job of cleanup. When we clean fence rows I can fell a tree, pick it up entirely to limb it down, load the logs, and clean up the brush tightly smashed down and laid against the fence in about 20mins per tree.

Good idea. Maybe I'll get hold of Billy and see if he can stop some time on his way up north.

I wouldn't have tried that with my 142. For that I would have needed to bring out the Chusky. :cheese:

WoodNStuff said:
tfdchief said:
Big Ash. no tractor!

Good to see you're having fun tfdchief!!
Thanks, WoodNStuff, but that pic was about 2 months before my accident, but thanks, I will be doing that before you know it, I hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.