Bigtooth Aspen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Today I grabbed some shoulder season wood for next year, bucked up two downed trees then split them. This area is a mess since I don't work in it much but with these two trees taken care of the new trail has started.

The first tree I forgot to take a pic after splitting, I'm thinking with what I c/s today along with the hemlock & pine we should have 1.2 cord.

Pictures 4429 & 30 are the first tree, the rest are of the second tree.

gibir

Attachments

• 100_4429.jpg
    100_4429.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 346
  • 100_4430.jpg
    100_4430.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 342
  • 100_4431.jpg
    100_4431.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 345
  • 100_4432.jpg
    100_4432.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 363
  • 100_4433.jpg
    100_4433.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 346
  • 100_4434.jpg
    100_4434.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 351
  • 100_4435.jpg
    100_4435.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 339
  • 100_4436.jpg
    100_4436.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 331
Looks good zap. Still got snow as well, all gone here. I see a stihl in one pic as well, what size is it? I'm just taking a break from finishing " sav's" nasty bur oak. Gonna do some vertical splitting tomorrow. Shhhhhh....don't tell Dennis. :)

wishlist said:
Looks good zap. Still got snow as well, all gone here. I see a stihl in one pic as well, what size is it? I'm just taking a break from finishing " sav's" nasty bur oak. Gonna do some vertical splitting tomorrow. Shhhhhh....don't tell Dennis. :)

Oak sounds nice, wish we had some on our property.

gibir

wishlist said:

Well, vertical is the proper way to split anyway! ;-)

Nice pics again. More and more snow and more and more wood every weekend...good for u. Gotta love it.

Backwoods said:
Nice pics again. More and more snow and more and more wood every weekend...good for u. Gotta love it.

Dropping down around 9 tonight, just loaded the Liberty up with Beech and Sugar Maple.

zap

Nice day here in the 20s Zap. Good of you to give the lessers the opportunity to keep your house warm.

SolarAndWood said:
Nice day here in the 20s Zap. Good of you to give the lessers the opportunity to keep your house warm.

Saves on the better wood, we are set for good hardwood so all I need to do is cut shoulder season wood. Getting it off the hills tomorrow along with the hemlock which will come out first.

They called for a low of 9, we are at 9 right now.

zap

Well, vertical is the proper way to split anyway!

Denny, you don't miss anything do you?

I will miss tomorrow in the backyard, as it is SKI SEASON!

KC

Backwoods said:

If this snow stays and we get another couple of inches I'll throw the chains on the back tires if I'm working up top. The plan is hauling all this out tomorrow then next weekend start cutting some nice Ironwood.

zap

Ncountry said:
Bigtooth Aspen---Did you say polple?

Yep, this should be good an dry by next fall, once we get this off the hill I might start on the sugar maple mother nature took down a couple of months ago.

zap

Looks like a nice straight tree. I enjoy splitting that type of Aspen - it makes everything else seem hard to split.

Wood Duck said:
Looks like a nice straight tree. I enjoy splitting that type of Aspen - it makes everything else seem hard to split.

Wood Duck, it was frozen that day so all you had to do was touch the top of the round with the wedge. I found a couple of Ash trees in that same area but they look healthy so I'll leave them.

Looks like we'll concentrate on getting this off the hill then we will see what type of shape the sugar maple (guess) is in, it's up top just in a different area.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.