Birch? Beech?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

iceman2424

Jun 13, 2016
Michigan
Hey gang, can somebody help me ID this haul (the stuff on the left)? It's my broseph-in-law's, and he thinks it beech, but I think it's birch. We are probably both wrong...

Thanks for the help!

View attachment 197100
6828.jpeg

Reactions: JoPy
Son of a beech it is birch.

Reactions: iceman2424
Definitely aspen/poplar!

Reactions: Fred61
Tho I have never seen it that big my guess is birch.

My wife guesses aspen. She got it before I did. So proud.

First look without reading the comments I thought to myself, "It's either birch or poplar."

A closer shot of the bark would help.

Also, take your finger and rub the bark . . . if it feels waxy there's a pretty good chances are it's poplar.
Take a jackknife and scrape a bit of the bark . . . if there is a green hue right under the bark chances are it's poplar.

If you find bits of bark can kinda peel off the round . . . chances are it's birch of some sort.

Reactions: pernox
I don't see any signs of peeling bark in any of the rounds, not even a little bit at the edges. Not all birch outright peels off, but usually it at least shows hints of doing it where it's cut. Also looks like a thick bark layer in places.

If it was here, I'd still say poplar. Since it isn't here, I'll say that family.

Reactions: iceman2424
Agreed on poplar, as well as the waxy feeling being the best way to tell if you aren't sure. Birch will feel like paper.