BK Ashford 25 Insert Install Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ValleyCottageSplitter

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2016
Rockland Co, NY
I've kind of given up on a wood burning install on my house after a frustrating year of research, but I might have convinced my parents to get an insert for their nice masonry fireplace. At least I can make some good use of my wood there.

I was recommending the Ashford 25 insert but I'm not sure if it is a good fit. They will be burning just on occasion but like the idea of an attractive, clean burning insert with nice heat output and long burn time. It could be a really straightforward install with their solid masonry brick fireplace. I had a few questions:
  • The room is about 200 sq ft with three open doorways. Is this going to bake the room too hot even on low? The house is about 2,500 sq ft but they wouldn't need to heat the whole house.
  • The only close clearance looks like the mantle @ 24" above the potential stovetop position. Their current mantle has a small trim edge and it protrudes about 2-3". Is there a minimum overhang that this applies?
Are there any other good recommendations for an insert with a large viewing window but potential to run at low burn rates?

Thanks in advance.

The top clearance from the door opening to mantle is 38”. Can go down to 24” with the optional mantle shield. Mantle width is maximum 12” and 8” with the shield.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

10k btu/hr is the equivalent of two electric space heaters (typical 120v variety) running, so if they have a couple laying around they could try turning them on in the room and see how warm it gets and how well the heat moves out of the room.