Black cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
Got a really nice score of black cherry yesterday. I was at the neighbors yesterday working on that 44 in oak and my friend comes out and takes me to the other side of the property where he had a cherry taken down.. its good size. I have a bunch more of this to grab..
20190210_173152.jpg
20190210_173158.jpg

I love Black Cherry, burns hot and seasons quickly

It does season quickly, I'm burning that right now, leaves too much ash for my taste but have to burn what I got.

Reactions: Hogwildz
Love cherry. As said, seasones fast, throws a lot of heat.

Nice score !

Nice! I'm living on a vein of Black Cherry and Ash right now.

I just got a dump truck load of cherry. It is about 5 Nissan pickup loads of wood. It was split and delivered to my house for $250.

Am looking forward to burning it two years from now. Have it all stacked in my woodshed now.

It does season quickly, I'm burning that right now, leaves too much ash for my taste but have to burn what I got.
Smells good when the door is opened, wayyyyy tooo much ash, medium heat. The only worse ash leaving wood I burned was black walnut. Way too much ash, but gotta warm with what one has.

Great score. Love black cherry firewood.
I burned a lot of it last winter.

Processing black cherry slows me down . . . I keep stopping to sniff the splits. My wife even caught me one day stopping to sniff the wood. I was sniffing away when all of a sudden I hear "What are you doing?"

Cant wait for next season Ive got about a cord of black cherry/ ash that's been seasoning for 2 years.

The cherry looks to be fairly straight grained. Should split easy. It dries down quickly, is medium in wt when dry, minimal bark layer, starts and burns easy, puts out medium heat. It does produce ash, about like silver maple. But I think it's got a lot of fluff, that if allowed to accumulate, will compress to that of others. I burn both silver maple (silver maples can get huge) and cherry at times, and to get some compression going I opt to letting ash accumulate vs cleaning the ash pan.

Cherry is nice to burn ash or not. Seasons quickly which is a plus. The last cherry I got was free and not sure about you guys, but free wood always burns nice, regardless of the species.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ReggieT
I love black cherry. I pick it out and use it more in the smoker, though.
Like this kinda smoker
20190119_113902.jpg
this is where all the shorties wined up.. im using oak cherry and hickory

Processing black cherry slows me down . . . I keep stopping to sniff the splits. My wife even caught me one day stopping to sniff the wood. I was sniffing away when all of a sudden I hear "What are you doing?"
LMAO. Been there & been caught doing that. When passing by with the lawnmower I would sometimes grab a chunk & give it a sniff & toss it back on the pile the next round. The stuff I split in March smelled nice all summer , when the wind was right I could smell it on the breeze at the house.