Blaze King Ashford and flue height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ridemgis

Feeling the Heat
I’ve been burning a Hearthstone Heritage since 2012 and am now thinking of switching to a cat stove for longer burns and lower heat output. I really like the soft heat of the soapstone so I’ve been leaning toward a hearthstone green mountain. On the other hand, the Ashford has a solid track record. I have about 23 feet of double-wall and insulated flue running straight up through the house. Should I be concerned about excessive draft with the Ashford? Or the GM? I do have a key damper but not sure if it’ll be enough to reduce draft for the Ashford.

Last edited:
23 feet won't be a problem. I'm not sure you'll even need a damper. But you have one, don't take it out - it gives extra tuning capability.
But I strongly suspect it'll work fine.
Note that the chimney height in the manual is a *minimum* height.
If you get above 25 ft straight up, you'll likely need a damper.

Those who have measured their draft have found that it is actually quite easy to exceed the high limit with chimneys much taller than the minimum. I agree, leave the key damper in the stack.