Blaze king - king install in progress.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I like the flue probe temperature gauge because it helps me keep my flue from getting too hot during warm up and also from running so cold during long burns that creosote sets up. A rather huge plus is that you can read it from the couch unlike the cat gauge.

The only thing the cat gauge tells you is whether the cat is hot enough to be active or not. It’s essentially an idiot light.

I wouldn’t worry about draft measurements with a 19’ flue in nw Oregon. Wouldn’t hurt but your installer probably isn’t interested.

Reactions: Dustin
I like the flue probe temperature gauge because it helps me keep my flue from getting too hot during warm up and also from running so cold during long burns that creosote sets up. A rather huge plus is that you can read it from the couch unlike the cat gauge.

The only thing the cat gauge tells you is whether the cat is hot enough to be active or not. It’s essentially an idiot light.

I wouldn’t worry about draft measurements with a 19’ flue in nw Oregon. Wouldn’t hurt but your installer probably isn’t interested.

just chatted with the installer. They’re going to install a chimney thermo when they finish up this week. They had already planned on installing the slip pipe. Pretty happy with these guys. The installer even went through the do’s and don’t with the stove after install. Showed me how to access the cat, how to brush and clean it, etc.

I knew most of that from reading here for years about BK, but it was refreshing to see.

Reactions: Highbeam
just chatted with the installer. They’re going to install a chimney thermo when they finish up this week. They had already planned on installing the slip pipe. Pretty happy with these guys. The installer even went through the do’s and don’t with the stove after install. Showed me how to access the cat, how to brush and clean it, etc.

I knew most of that from reading here for years about BK, but it was refreshing to see.
Dustin, great looking install can't wait to see it all in and hear about how much you love it this winter.

We did the same thing last winter/spring, ripping out a puny walled-up natural gas fireplace and replacing it with a BK. The worst thing was prying out 1001 nails out of 2x4's to take out that protrusion the fireplace was in...

But now, couldn't be happier, even though winter here is nothing compared to up North.

Okay! It’s done, all done.

I know nothing about free standing chimney installation. I’ve done three inserts myself but paid to have this done.

Take a look.. zoom in, zoom out... what say you?

D36E7FE0-F638-4ADC-9FBF-7ECBF9BAC9F3.jpeg1F192967-CBC2-4ACC-87A5-CAF34BE37C55.jpeg

I suppose there's a reason you didn't put the support box directly above the flue outlet of the stove? Looks a bit wonky with the bends.

Where's the fire? :) j/k that will come soon enough. Right now let's just get the smoke out of here.

It was 67 in the house this morning and 57 outside. Decided it was time to cure the paint on this thing.

Small load of Doug Fir. Cat active and engaged at the moment, thermostat on high on this small load.

One positive thing to report... it’s not cold outside. I really expected to have some smoke spillage when i opened the loading door based on a perceived sluggish draft due to outside temps. I’m happy to report, no smoke spill! Looking like I’ll have adequate draft especially when it cools down a bit.

F729ECB0-2572-4C1F-9F00-A5B5DFDFEB23.jpeg05EDDD76-EE2F-4280-AF57-1B7F69C2D0A3.jpeg

Why did you open the door? Just to see if smoke spilled? Even though I’m sure you bypassed the cat I would recommend minimizing opening the door when that cat is hot to limit the amount of thermal shock it could see. You will of course be reloading with coals but usually by then the cat has cooled a bit due to lack of fuel.

Taking care of that cat will give you the longest possible cat life.

I’m hoping to make it to October before first fire this year.

Last edited:
Why did you open the door? Just to see if smoke spilled? Even though I’m sure you bypassed the cat I would recommend minimizing opening the door when that cat is hot to limit the amount of thermal shock it could see. You will of course be reloading with coals but usually by then the cat has cooled a bit due to lack of fuel.

Taking care of that cat will give you the longest possible cat life.

I’m hoping to make it to October before first fire this year.

thanks for the note. That’s something a did not know. I did notice that on this first small load, the cat was almost pegged in full active for most of the burn. I did read somewhere that the first few fires will show a very active cat. I left the thermo on high the entire time just trying to break thing thing in. Fire is almost out, I likely won’t light again for a few weeks.

Prior to engaging the cat I just wanted to see if it would spill smoke on me. More of an unscientific draft test :)

I have found the most likely time for smoke spillage is about 2/3 of the way through a full load burn on a medium or low heat setting. So there are still lots of solid charred logs in there making smoke that is being chowed on by the cat. If I must open the door to reload early due to some scheduling issue I get spillage.

No matter what I do with bypassing, door cracking, thermostat setting, etc. there is a very good chance I’ll stink the house up while I stuff more wood in on top of the charred burning logs.

This smoke spillage is never a problem during startup with a cold flue. Outside temperature also makes no difference and my wood is very dry mostly fir. This never happened with previous stoves on the same chimney/hearth.

I’m very jealous of your king on a tall stack. Should be a great heater.

Too warm to break in New KE40....

Attachments

• 20200920_085711.jpg
    20200920_085711.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 149
Too warm and the neighbors probably don't want to smell smoke in the air right now after what we've just gone through.

Super clean install BKVP, but we would expect nothing less from you. That cement wall material just looks fantastic.