Blaze King New gasket instalation: Please help can't shut door!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chamel

Feb 3, 2013
MA
Hello Everyone, hope all is well. I was hoping someone could help me with a issue I'm having installing a new Blaze King gasket for my Sirocco 30.

I'll try to make this short. I was getting a smoke smell from where the two ends of my original gasket were meeting on the hinge side of the door. They were quite frayed. So I decided to order a new gasket to install myself to see if this would help the problem. I was planning on painting a little cement on the ends and placing the ends at the bottom of the door instead of the hinge side, and using a thick bead of high temp silicone to glue it in. It seems to have helped some people with the same problem.

I was given a replacement 7/8 high density gasket from Blaze King. I did notice it was a lot thicker than my original one. Cleaned out the stove door gasket channel of any old silicone and dry fitted the new gasket as is, making sure not to stretch it. Tested it out on my stove. And to my disappointment, the door is no where even close to shutting. I know it's not recommended but I tried stretching it as much as possible because there is no way it'll fit as is. Still not even close to shutting the door. I know it's supposed to be hard so shut the door with a new gasket, but not this difficult. The latch is also adjusted as far out as it can go. I'm not sure what to do. The manual says it's the right size for the stove yet it's not even close to fitting. I know for a fact that the original gasket that came with the stove is much smaller. (smaller weave and smaller diameter.) Where can I find a similar size gasket that will work with my stove? The 7/8 inch high-density gasket is simply not the right gasket for my stove and it cannot be what Blaze King puts in there in the factory. I've included pictures to show the differences between the two gaskets. Has anyone else had this problem, or is it just me?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 570
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 497
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
Reactions: jrems
That sure is a bit of a difference in size isn't it?

What did Blaze King say when you called them?

Old gasket sure looks as if its stretched tight in comparison? Maybe BKVP will advise.

Apparently they sent the wrong size.

Just to be clear, Blaze King provided the gasket, Not the dealer?

That sure is a bit of a difference in size isn't it? What did Blaze King say when you called them?

I thought so. No wonder I can't shut the door. I'm about an inch away from latching it! I haven't called them. They'll probably insist that it's the right size.

Old gasket sure looks as if its stretched tight in comparison? Maybe BKVP will advise.

I've even tried stretching out the new gasket as much as I possibly could. Still didn't even come close to getting it as thin as the original. If you look closely you can tell that the thicker new gasket as more strands per weave.

Apparently they sent the wrong size.
That's what I keep thinking. Or they changed model/supplier for the gasket replacement part and didn't test them on the stoves. Originally I asked BKVP about the smoke smell problem with my stove. He kindly sent me the 7/8 replacement gasket as it says in the manual. I said that it's much thicker than the original and that I'm not even coming close to shutting the door with this new gasket. Is possibly too large or the wrong size? It is 7/8 and he insisted it's the correct one. But I still think it's just to large to fit the Sirocco. I actually ended up moving the stove with the amount of force trying to push the door on. Both gaskets have the same crushing thickness, but the new one is much too wide! I'm so frustrated. I'm freezing my butt off with apparently the correct gasket, yet I cant get it fit to shut the door. I should of never taken out the original one in the first place. Though I would have to change it sooner or later. Do you guys think a 3/4 Rutland one would suffice for a season? Has anyone with similar models Chinnok/Ashford changed out their gaskets recently and had a similar problem?

You were able to remove all the old silicone sealant from the channel?
Did you scrunch the gasket as need to tuck it into the channel? I’ve never has this issue re-gasketing BK doors. Sorry you’re have such a time with it.

You were able to remove all the old silicone sealant from the channel? Did you scrunch the gasket as need to tuck it into the channel? I’ve never has this issue re-gasketing BK doors. Sorry you’re have such a time with it.
Yes. Spent quite a few hours getting all the silicone out. Note black stuff in the channel is just left over black paint. I felt like I scrunched it well into the channel. See pic. Maybe the glass retaining screws are getting in the way? Is there a particular knack to getting the gasket to sit around the screws rather than on top? I was curious and went to my dealer today to look at the Sirocco floor model to take a look at its gasket and sure enough it has the same smaller gasket as mine does. Is it possible that this new larger gasket is intended for the larger Blaze King Models/Princess/King?

Attachments

• DSC03386.jpg
    DSC03386.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
Every time I have changed a gasket it has taken me probably 10 minutes. With that being said I think I would be driving to every store in my area and picking up new rope in different sizes until I found one that fit right. I would use the one I found until I could get to the bottom of why the one you have won't fit and how to fix it.

Just watch your stove the first few fires. I don't see why a different brand would cause an issue but better to be safe.

The caveat being I don't own a blaze king.

Pop the door off and take it to the dealer. Ask wtf. Something is wrong. Bring the box that held the gasket and have them run the part number to check.

Ideally you can get there when their “smart guy” is in and not just a salesman.

Can you put your old gasket back in? A fresh, deep bed of rtv will be thicker and give you some time.

Reactions: Doc C
Every time I have changed a gasket it has taken me probably 10 minutes. With that being said I think I would be driving to every store in my area and picking up new rope in different sizes until I found one that fit right. I would use the one I found until I could get to the bottom of why the one you have won't fit and how to fix it.

Just watch your stove the first few fires. I don't see why a different brand would cause an issue but better to be safe.

The caveat being I don't own a blaze king.

Pop the door off and take it to the dealer. Ask wtf. Something is wrong. Bring the box that held the gasket and have them run the part number to check.

Ideally you can get there when their “smart guy” is in and not just a salesman.

Can you put your old gasket back in? A fresh, deep bed of rtv will be thicker and give you some time.

It is my first time changing a gasket. I did read up on it. Seemed pretty straight forward and easy to do. I agree It shouldn't be this much of a struggle. I wish I could put the old one back in, but I ended up cutting it by a mistake trying to remove it from one of the glass retaining screws. I actually went to my dealer yesterday. Showed them the two gaskets. They agreed that the newer one had the same crushing thickness but it was much wider. They thought it was funny that they were different because the part did come directly from Blaze King. I brought the door. They didn't seem interested in looking at it. So we just went to the gaskets that they had in the store and found a cheapo 3/4 Rutland one that matched the best with my original gasket. So I bought six feet of that. It's not high density though. It's somewhat flat and it doesn't have the spring back quality that the high density does. Will it be ok for a season? What size would you guys say the original gasket is? About 3/4? Does anyone know where I can find high density gasket in 3/4? Maybe I'll try the new gasket one more time. I was thinking of stretching it some more by hanging a weight off of it. Pictures are of the 3/4 Rutland with my original gasket.

Attachments

• rope1.jpg
    rope1.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 424
  • rope.jpg
    rope.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 444
to try to remedy the smoke smell issue i was sent a new gasket and new, shorter bolts to hold the glass i think? that was for the ashford though. the thought was the longer bolts were causing a sealing problem. cant really say if its helped considerably though. i still get the smell if i go too low.

If you go back to the dealer bring the new gasket and packaging it came in, the old gasket and the door, they might just do the gasket right on the spot since it’s probably a warranty item

Chamel,

Please PM me the name of dealer where you purchased the stove. Also, if need be, we'll get dealer to help even if it means replacing the door.

Chamel,

Please PM me the name of dealer where you purchased the stove. Also, if need be, we'll get dealer to help even if it means replacing the door.

That's service with a smile! Blaze king will be my next stove for sure!

That's service with a smile! Blaze king will be my next stove for sure!

It sure is! :) No other stove company will take the time to solve any issues you have! Me and BKVP are working on it. I was curious and frustrated that no other people have had this problem. The 3/4 Rutland one fits really nicely and passes the dollar bill test. Took no more than 15 minutes to dry fit and no more than a minute to shut the door. It's very snug. I might just use that one this year.

Just curious how wide is everyone's glass retaining bracket channel where the gasket goes? Mine is less than 3/4.(see pic.) I was thinking, maybe the Sirocco has a smaller channel than the other BK models and maybe that's why I was having the issue.

Attachments

• glassbracket.jpg
    glassbracket.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 403
  • rutland.jpg
    rutland.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 436
This just happened to me...door wouldn’t close after installed new 7/8 gasket ordered from BK/Dealer. Ashford 25.
I’m really surprised you had to replace the gasket on a 25 already. BK gaskets usually last a long time with the knife edge seal.
No matter how hard you push it won’t latch? Did you bunch up the gasket when installing it?

Actually no I didn’t burn the gasket? Didn’t know that was possible

The gasket was installed wrong at the factory. The gasket joint was on the hinge side and there was an air leak which was easy to notice. BK noted this was wrong and sent me a new gasket.

Dealer worked on it today and showed me how it would not close. There was 3-4” opening at the closest point we could get to closing the door