Blaze king real people burn time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wolves1

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2014
Malverne ny
Love to hear from people real experience burn times under normal operating conditions not a lab. Please let us know if it’s the princess or king.

Reactions: UrbanBrnr
Ah, a skeptic. That's a good thing. I too was skeptical when I was burning a hearthstone noncat heritage and looking for longer burns. I actually pm'd a few bk owners to get the truth. Private endorsements. It's true! These dang stoves deliver performance to match what the manufacturer says they will do. That's 30 hours from the princess and 40 from the king at low burn.

Be sure to remember that longest burns happen at lowest burn rates. If you need more heat then your burntime will go down. This just means that you CAN choose from a very wide range of burn rates to keep your house comfortable during a very wide range of conditions. All by turning the thermostat knob.

So me, real life, with a princess I reload once per day 95% of the year. 24 hour burn cycle. The reason is that my chimney is only 12' tall which limits my low burn rate but also I am burning low btu pnw woods like Doug fir, alder, and big leaf maple.

1700 sf of 1963 built one story house about 750' above sea level in the cascade foothills.

I made the switch to the bk. Same house and fuel. Max burn time in the noncat was 10 hours. Both stoves kept us plenty warm though.

This forum is absolutely full of “real” peoples burn times. No one on here is burning in a lab.
Sorry should have been more clear i want to see the numbers on a slow burn in comparison to the lab numbers from the company.

What wood are you burning? That’ll make a huge difference.

Reactions: Wolves1
Love to hear from people real experience burn times under normal operating conditions not a lab. Please let us know if it’s the princess or king.

This my first winter on my Ashford 30 and I have been burning Ash (17% moisture) that is split about 4 to 5 inches in diameter at maximum. I have gotten a twelve hour burn with the firebox mostly full with thermostat about a third of the way open.
When I reloaded the stove was still giving off the same amount of heat as hours earlier. I’m just a newbie with it; but I believe the guys when say they get the long burn times. I think I need to learn the tricks to the longer burn times. I have some white oak that is split much larger and is about 15% moisture, I will use it when it gets really cold.

This my first winter on my Ashford 30 and I have been burning Ash (17% moisture) that is split about 4 to 5 inches in diameter at maximum. I have gotten a twelve hour burn with the firebox mostly full with thermostat about a third of the way open.
When I reloaded the stove was still giving off the same amount of heat as hours earlier. I’m just a newbie with it; but I believe the guys when say they get the long burn times. I think I need to learn the tricks to the longer burn times. I have some white oak that is split much larger and is about 15% moisture, I will use it when it gets really cold.
I believe them that they are getting long burn times, I just wanted to see how long compared to the company results.

I believe them that they are getting long burn times, I just wanted to see how long compared to the company results.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're asking for. The company says 30 hours for princess class and 40 for king. Are you asking whether real burners get that too?

1200 sq ft raised ranch, BK Princess is in the basement, wood is usually maple, oak, cherry and ash. When the temps are in the mid 30's and up I will get 18 - 20 hr burn times no blower, when the temps are in the mid 20's and to low 30's i'll drop down to 12-15 hrs with blower on low, anything colder my minimum burn time is 8 - 10hrs with blower only running on medium speed.
The house is late 80's 2x4 cons, basement is currently in-insulated. Very happy with my stove.
*no doubt in my mind that if the stove was up on the main floor I would be running it on low all the time getting 20-24hr burn times.

Ashford 30 here with a 16' straight fully insulated double wall chimney. Burning mixed hardwoods (Ash, Maple, Oak).
I haven't packed the stove yet, but off a 85% full load it's been easy to exceed 20-24hrs on low.
Even after 24 hours it's still full of lively coals and has an active cat, so I can just rake the coals forward and throw some more splits in.
My buddies with non-cats think there doing well if they have enough coals in the morning to lite off again, they don't seem to be able to comprehend that 24hr plus burn times are even possible.

One thing I've observed is the burntime goes down a bit as the temperature drops outside, I think due to a stronger draft. But that's fine since you need the heat anyways.

Last edited:

Just curious, are your Regency hybrids get close to the advertised burn times.
My Ashford 30 smokes like the devil during the first 5 minutes of a high burn after a reload with the bypass closed, that’s probably where the hybrids would do better.

Sorry should have been more clear i want to see the numbers on a slow burn in comparison to the lab numbers from the company.
I’ve always been able to get the advertised burn times. Of course, wet wood, or a huge house you won’t get the performance advertised. I would get 30+ hour burns in the shoulder season, consistent 24 hour burns most the time. Even on high, I get 6-8 hour burns. That’s the best most non-cats can pull off.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
Just curious, are your Regency hybrids get close to the advertised burn times.
My Ashford 30 smokes like the devil during the first 5 minutes of a high burn after a reload with the bypass closed, that’s probably where the hybrids would do better.
The insert (ci2600) after 14 hours I still have hot coals, the stove (f3500) after 12 hours I usually reload to keep the house warm, there is about 3 inches of very hot coal, that’s the main stove I use, I really haven’t tried to go the 24 hours on cold days 32 and lower after 12 hours temps in the house start to drop, the wife and my daughter like it nice and warm about 72+. Wanted to go with a Blaze King stove since I had a regency insert but no dealer in my area and the one guy on Long Island said I lived to far from him he would only drop it off on the curb and I would have to bring it in and install kind of turned me off a bit so I went with regency since my cousin sells them.

Wanted to go with a Blaze King stove since I had a regency insert but no dealer in my area and the one guy on Long Island said I lived to far from him he would only drop it off on the curb and I would have to bring it in and install kind of turned me off a bit so I went with regency since my cousin sells them.
For those that don't have a BK dealer near them but an excellent stove shop, the stove shop can order direct from BK and have the unit shipped to them, they don't need to be a dealer.

For those that don't have a BK dealer near them but an excellent stove shop, the stove shop can order direct from BK and have the unit shipped to them, they don't need to be a dealer.
I wish I knew that I could have had my cousin order it, I never even asked if he could order it. Anyway the regency is definitely doing a great job warming my house for 12 hours house temp starts to drop after 12 hours still not to shabby, the house is 2,221 square-foot with lots of windows, the room where the stove is in has 8 windows and two 6 foot French glass doors. There is no way I can go 24 hours of keeping the house warm I imagine I can probably have some hot coals. Still would love to here from BK owners how there stove burn times are so I have an idea of how long till the house temps drop. Thank you in advance.

Ashford owner here too. Got one right when they came out. Like highbeam mine replaced a hearthstone- a Phoenix to be exact. The efficiency of these units is best utilized in the low burn settings. When you have to turn them up, the perform much like a non cat. My 2200 house is newer, but poorly air sealed. Both stoves can’t keep up when the winter blows hard. It’s not the stove though. The other 80% of the winter the ashford excels by being able to better regulate the amount of heat much better than the non cat. If you do a search, you will see where the fan use changes burn times. In short, it provides a cooling effect to the thermostat which causes it to open more frequently. So, it’s use shortens burn times. You won’t get a 30 hr burn with the fan on. I would say it cuts my burn time anywhere from20-50%.

shoot-straight.
What’s your other stove?

Ashford 30, full load of Norway Spruce: I can reload after 24 hours on decent coal bed with the cat needle barely in the active zone. With a full load of European beech after the same amount of time the cat indicator is 1/3rd in the active zone, and the coal bed is a glowing red inferno. T-stat in the same position, I.e. between 3 and 4 o’clock. Out of curiosity I once weighed the Norway spruce load, it was 10.5 kilograms. I for first wouldn’t have believed such numbers, but I get them daily

Ashford 30.
Only have lodgepole pine around here. But I go 12+ hours between reloads in the shoulders. 8 hours when it’s below freezing all day.
Really wish we had some hardwoods up here. :(

Be sure to remember that people are reporting two different things. 1) the maximum burn time of the stove, and 2) the maximum burn time while keeping their particular house warm during some arbitrary night.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Be sure to remember that people are reporting two different things. 1) the maximum burn time of the stove, and 2) the maximum burn time while keeping their particular house warm during some arbitrary night.
I had always been able to heat with my BKs on med/low. Well insulated, appropriately sized stove for the home. Maximum burn times were normal for me. With my non-cats and hybrid there were extreme temperature swings. Got to bed too hot, wake up cold and do it all over again. Switched to a BK and the problem was eliminated, wood consumption dropped nearly in half.

30's for the lows I can get 24 hours pretty easy with no blower with a mix of hardwoods. I've had my princess for longer than most of the regular posters.(think I'm on my 7th season) To put it plainly the stoves are silly, and honestly boring to use.(repeatable load after load) My first season or two I documented a bunch of burns.

My king gets constent 24 hr burn times of 400 degree plus temps. I dont pack it tight and use wood is always mixed. Now next year when my locusts and oak dry ill be burning it up baby. 30 hrs + can be achieved but I don't wait till the last chared piece.

My princess is not hooked up yet but I expect the same results.