Blaze king real people burn time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Rob in your 4th picture your thermostat setting your running the stove wide open. May account for your short burn time.

Lower efficiency too on those 30 boxes. I would rather have the higher efficiency and deep ash belly than the very slightly lower emissions. 0.8 grams difference, it’s not even the weight of a paperclip.

Have we standardized the weight of paperclips now? Is this going to be like measuring surface area in Rhode Islands? Have you ever aspirated half a paper clip? That sounds pretty bad to me.

So many questions.... ;lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful and Highbeam
How I was I not paged? :)

I’ve done burns well over 30 hours (perhaps 36 hours?) on my Ashford 30’s (plural) running red oak. I’ve also done 4 - 6 hour burns on the same stoves, also with red oak. Set the dial for your desired heat output or burn time, let the thermostat do it’s thing, and enjoy even output over that duration.

I define the long burn times by how long I can keep the cat needle in the active range. I define the short burn times by how quickly I can get down to small coals (marble to golf ball) and reload.

I typically run one on 24-hour cycles, and the other runs 12-hour cycles during the week, sometimes stepping up to some sub-6 hour cycles on weekends. It’s all in the select-a-burn dial.

We have all been waiting for you to show up...

Did you lay in some pine for this year? I am telling you, you will fall in love with pine in the coldest part of the year when you want to do a 4 hour burn and not end up with a stove full of coal.

A stove full of oak coals is fine if you want low heat or if you have a few hours to burn them down fast, but not so good if you want to pack the stove full of oak and go to bed!

Reactions: redktmrider
So 5 hrs in its hard ti get pics. Looks like back half of box filled with coals, I tried but hard to see, I’d say 2 hrs of good heat remaining, not complaining,I’m filling it with so much small stuff. Hopefully Sunday I’ll be able to get some good dry bigger splits from my stacks.
Pjohnson, I considered full throttle where it taps out on the surround, not the swoosh. Where the previous pic was about 1/4” off the fully closed position. I’m going to sleep now, expect cold empty stove in am. I thank you all for your input!

Attachments

• 4983AE35-E41B-489F-835C-C27EF4893476.jpeg
    4983AE35-E41B-489F-835C-C27EF4893476.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 6FDF23B0-CA52-4F6F-A64D-F7705094F760.jpeg
    6FDF23B0-CA52-4F6F-A64D-F7705094F760.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 153
How about a pic of your stat fully closed. Looks like the timing is off. Not a huge deal.

Per the manual the wide end of the swoosh is wide open are you sure your not a 1/4 inch closed from wide open

Did you lay in some pine for this year? I am telling you, you will fall in love with pine in the coldest part of the year when you want to do a 4 hour burn and not end up with a stove full of coal.

A stove full of oak coals is fine if you want low heat or if you have a few hours to burn them down fast, but not so good if you want to pack the stove full of oak and go to bed!
I did burn four cypress trees and one hemlock, recently, if that counts. I pushed them whole into a pile, and burned them in the back yard. [emoji41]

I just split a walnut, and a hard maple, both of which fell in my next door neighbors yard and needed disposal. That’s about the closest to soft wood that I’ll ever take the time to split, with an essentially-unlimited supply of oak, hickory, and maple that I can’t find enough time to split already.
4a649ea94252aa9c197a724d6cd13246.jpge93de69d2be517ee96ffc414ad365114.jpg

Reactions: bholler
This is where the air damper is fully closed, the Actual cast surround is what stops it. It didn’t make sense because anything above this is still closed. I agree with the timing off comment. Can someone show me where it should stop. I’m starting to think my installer didn’t know what he was doing!
8B0C7271-6ADD-478D-B4B0-554F6069C670.jpeg

Woke up to -4 this morning. I re-loaded the Princess Ultra at about 8 am with a mix of ash, oak, and cherry. I let her rip all day...which for me is about half throttle on the thermostat (#2 on a circa 2012 T-stat). The house thermostat is set at 71 and it warmed up to 73 all morning and afternoon (solar gain probably helped though) while the outside temp soared to -2. It's 4:30 now and I'm in the process of burning the coals down in preparation for a reload later this evening.

8 hours is fine by me with this arctic blast. On weekdays with work, it's more of a 12-hour burn cycle. Most people sing the praises of a BK being able to burn low and slow. For me, the biggest draw is how easy it is to control. One simple dial and a bypass - not multiple air control levers with worry about the fire going out or nuclear if they aren't set just right. Easy operation and peace-of-mind - worth every penny I spent on this thing!

This is where the air damper is fully closed, the Actual cast surround is what stops it. It didn’t make sense because anything above this is still closed. I agree with the timing off comment. Can someone show me where it should stop. I’m starting to think my installer didn’t know what he was doing!
View attachment 253492
For a better response, I'd post this in the BK Performance Thread. It's where all BK owners hang out. This thread is only being watched by a small faction of them, now.

I did burn four cypress trees and one hemlock, recently, if that counts. I pushed them whole into a pile, and burned them in the back yard. [emoji41]

I just split a walnut, and a hard maple, both of which fell in my next door neighbors yard and needed disposal. That’s about the closest to soft wood that I’ll ever take the time to split, with an essentially-unlimited supply of oak, hickory, and maple that I can’t find enough time to split already.
View attachment 253495View attachment 253497
I've had a cord of pine and hemlock in my racks for 5 years, one of these days I'm going to burn it

I've had a cord of pine and hemlock in my racks for 5 years, one of these days I'm going to burn it
Reading my own quote there, I meant to say "oak, hickory, and ash", not maple. Lots of ash dying here, the last 2-3 years. We're now where Michigan and Ohio were five years ago, with regard to EAB.

Reading my own quote there, I meant to say "oak, hickory, and ash", not maple. Lots of ash dying here, the last 2-3 years. We're now where Michigan and Ohio were five years ago, with regard to EAB.
Just about all Ash has been dead here for 4 to 5 years.

I love pine, poplar and other light woods in my ashford. It's all I'm burning right now. 8-12hrs depending mainly on fan use.

Thirty hours is not unreasonable. We left the house yesterday at 0900 and returned today at 1230, about 27.5 hours. Temps out side were just above freezing overnight and 5C during the day. The house was still at 21C in the stove room and 18.5 C at the far ends of the house.
There was a small bit of unburned wood and lots of coals.
P_20191219_114537.jpgP_20191219_115254.jpg

And 10 minutes later...
P_20191219_120201.jpg

Thirty hours is not unreasonable. We left the house yesterday at 0900 and returned today at 1230, about 27.5 hours. Temps out side were just above freezing overnight and 5C during the day. The house was still at 21C in the stove room and 18.5 C at the far ends of the house.
There was a small bit of unburned wood and lots of coals.
View attachment 253794View attachment 253793

And 10 minutes later...
View attachment 253792
That is very impressive. I can get 20h with my Princess with very ugly soft wood.

Minimal heat after 15th hour I might add.

This was a load of Doug fir at 16%MC. Would have still had coals at 30 hours.

Reactions: Diabel