Blaze king real people burn time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
In shoulder season with temps in the 32-50 range I can get 24 hours. Once temps drop below 32 for months on end I do 12 hour burns. That's mostly because of my schedule. If I let it burn out I'd get 16-18 hours. Since it's my primary heat I dont want it burning out while I'm at work. I'm burning red fir, lodgepole and tamarack.

I have a king in a 1000 square foot cabin northern Wisconsin, cozy but not super insulated, older windows. I loaded it up full of oak wednesday at noon returned Friday at 4, 52 hours later cabin still at 67 enough coals left to throw some wood on and get it going again. The long burn times work great for us, we can leave the cabin for a few days and keep it warm with out the electric heat coming on. Of course it’s not real cold in the 20’s once it’s below zero it will need to be fed more often.

Reactions: lsucet
My king gets constent 24 hr burn times of 400 degree plus temps. I dont pack it tight and use wood is always mixed. Now next year when my locusts and oak dry ill be burning it up baby. 30 hrs + can be achieved but I don't wait till the last chared piece.

My princess is not hooked up yet but I expect the same results.
I’m curious why the King and Princess have more emissions (1.76 I believe) than some of the other BK stoves, at 0.8 grams/hour? Simply why do the Sirroco, Ashford & Chinook 30.2 stoves operate at 0.8 grams/hour and the King and Princess stoves; have such higher emissions?

I’m curious why the King and Princess have more emissions (1.76 I believe) than some of the other BK stoves, at 0.8 grams/hour? Simply why do the Sirroco, Ashford & Chinook 30.2 stoves operate at 0.8 grams/hour and the King and Princess stoves; have such higher emissions?
Older design?

My 2 cents worth. Sirocco 20. Last 3 batch's. 16hrs 24mins, 12 hrs flat (wifes round_g), 15hrs 47mins.
Mid to high 20's overnight and low to mid 30's during the day. Looong ways from cold.
And yes. I actually measured reloads to the minute. As well as photographed my Cat probe needle location and Condar STT reading at reloading time's. Good fun.

Lower efficiency too on those 30 boxes. I would rather have the higher efficiency and deep ash belly than the very slightly lower emissions. 0.8 grams difference, it’s not even the weight of a paperclip.

Just had my longest burn yet, 22 hours with temps in the low 30s and wasn't actually trying to do that. Running unknown wood blocks given to me that are roughly 8"X10" with various thicknesses. Some are heavy like Oak others are lighter. The insert was not packed full or tight but could have gotten a little more in. Fan on high and set to the lowest thermostat setting I can run which is 2.5 dots from the bottom. If it's windy I can run on 2. Reloaded when temps on cat got down to 500* which gives me 300* stove top temps with IR gun. Have thermocouples for cat and flue temps. Pic is of current temp as I write this, top number is cat. 12-18 hours is my norm with different types of wood.
Princess insert 2020 compliant installed 3/2019, with 25' outside masonry chimney, insulated liner, insulated fireplace. 2200 sq ft 1972 built house, 2X6 walls, 21' peak ceiling in living room with the Princess.

Attachments

• 9DB6FFFE-5D98-4CB0-819E-137613450E2E.jpeg
    9DB6FFFE-5D98-4CB0-819E-137613450E2E.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 160
  • 85D0D76F-44A6-424E-86FB-130B7DBE6762.jpeg
    85D0D76F-44A6-424E-86FB-130B7DBE6762.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 577B8532-119A-4665-8AD0-D623F60B48E2.jpeg
    577B8532-119A-4665-8AD0-D623F60B48E2.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 166
This is my first time posting on such a site, so if asking a question not exactly on topic is improper; please advise me. You seem very knowledgeable about BK. I’ve been heating with a Lamppa Kuuma Vapor Fire- 200 wood furnace (1.1 gph) for 20+ years. I would like to have the peace of mind of a non-electric wood stove, but the emissions have to be very low for being an urban burner. Please tell me if your Ashford 30.2 with 0.8 grams/hour after startup, only emits visible moisture? And, is it true that a Cat system doesn’t allow the burning of pallet wood containing nails?

I would be hesitant to burn anything but seasoned cordwood in a cat stove. The cat can become masked or damaged by any foreign chemicals present in the wood or on the nails.
Once my Asford is past the startup/ reload period, it emits no visible smoke. A neighbor just recently asked me why I have so much firewood when I never burn it. They didn't even notice the waves of heat coming out my chimney as we were talking outside.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Ashford 25 insert. 6 hrs. Thermostat at 3:30 fans on med. BUT... all my wood was cut and split to fit into my now sold tiny intrepid 1(avatar) The wood I have for next yr is split bigger. Could probably keep cat active at 3:00 but black glass.
71F44CCF-008F-40B4-8EFD-84C65F700A69.jpeg 8E8E8C15-BA4E-4880-9A92-AD85AB4B143A.jpeg

Reactions: redktmrider
BK princess (2 year old cat) heating a 2000 sq ft tri-level built in 87' as a heat pump home ,so well insulated. Stove is on first floor under the 2nd and circulates heat on natural convection. Burning mix of oak, beech and maple that's 2 years seasoned. 18' of chinney outside and 42" rise inside...I routinely get 24 hours out of a full load with the stat at 1/3 of the swoosh. I only burn it when it's under 30* outside, otherwise daytime temps are up there. When it's in the teens or lower I'll get about 20 hours out of it with pulling everything to the front 1 or 2 times...I usually burn it up and reload around 10-11pm for it's best burn overnight and it's still active till the next night...using it when it's under 30* in northeast PA, I burned 1.5 cord last year.

Ashford 25 insert. 6 hrs. Thermostat at 3:30 fans on med. BUT... all my wood was cut and split to fit into my now sold tiny intrepid 1(avatar) The wood I have for next yr is split bigger. Could probably keep cat active at 3:00 but black glass.
View attachment 252833 View attachment 252834
Just to clarify, that is 6hrs burn time with this load of wood?

Reactions: Woody Stover
Yup. It’s all about 14% oak and small. Got 7hrs last night but I found some bigger splits although it was tulip polar. Otherwise oak. Yeah we fill it 4x a day. I’m not complaining bc it’s split so small. I spotted some bigger fatter splits in a stack out back.

Yup. It’s all about 14% oak and small. Got 7hrs last night but I found some bigger splits although it was tulip polar. Otherwise oak. Yeah we fill it 4x a day. I’m not complaining bc it’s split so small. I spotted some bigger fatter splits in a stack out back.
Your closing the by-pass correct?

Yeah. Probably earlier than I should. Just before it’s in active range. Again this is like a step above kindling. Maybe I’ll let it get low tonight and load up and see. Last night packed it around 10pm, 6 am small amount of coals left in the back. I wouldn’t call it useful heat by any means.

That seems pretty fast for a load of oak, even if split smaller.

If he is runnign the fans on medium the whole time it might be pulling enough heat off the stove its running harder.

Yeah. Probably earlier than I should. Just before it’s in active range. Again this is like a step above kindling. Maybe I’ll let it get low tonight and load up and see. Last night packed it around 10pm, 6 am small amount of coals left in the back. I wouldn’t call it useful heat by any means.
That's a bummer man, its really a good stove, the 25size you should be getting close to 10-14hr burns, the one thing I noticed this year with the princess and it might help you with yours is that my burns seem easier / warmer, and longer with at least an inch of powder ash on the bottom, let that ash build up some and see if it helps with your durations

Love to hear from people real experience burn times under normal operating conditions not a lab. Please let us know if it’s the princess or king.

How I was I not paged? :)

I’ve done burns well over 30 hours (perhaps 36 hours?) on my Ashford 30’s (plural) running red oak. I’ve also done 4 - 6 hour burns on the same stoves, also with red oak. Set the dial for your desired heat output or burn time, let the thermostat do it’s thing, and enjoy even output over that duration.

I define the long burn times by how long I can keep the cat needle in the active range. I define the short burn times by how quickly I can get down to small coals (marble to golf ball) and reload.

I typically run one on 24-hour cycles, and the other runs 12-hour cycles during the week, sometimes stepping up to some sub-6 hour cycles on weekends. It’s all in the select-a-burn dial.

Reactions: Highbeam
I used to get 12-14 hours with my princess Insert in shoulder seasons, when it got below 20 I'd do 3 8 hour loads even though I could sometimes get 10 hours, 3 8 hour burns worked nice for my schedule and I hot good heat.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I used to get 12-14 hours with my princess Insert in shoulder seasons, when it got below 20 I'd do 3 8 hour loads even though I could sometimes get 10 hours, 3 8 hour burns worked nice for my schedule and I hot good heat.
I do pretty much the same

Yes, that is our cycle when it's cold too.

Yes, that is our cycle when it's cold too.
It was my cycle with the regency. And most other stoves as well for that matter

6065ECE8-E92F-4B43-A7F0-DF488C1487FA.jpeg C0F6FC7B-080B-4F84-928D-C93B52915642.jpeg 4183C04C-5B8E-4A79-8D7C-DA7A831C7FBC.jpegAD7BFD96-F8EB-47B7-B8BA-6FDFD5B72196.jpeg
Pic 1 is what I came home to around 7 pm
2nd is my load
3rd is about 15min in bypass closed
4th my setting
No fans on, it’s almost 50 outside. We shall see!