Blaze King Thermostat and Bypass Mod (GASP!) (Chinook 20.2)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brassaxe

Nov 30, 2020
Maryland
Being in a small and efficient house, the teeniest of adjustments on the regulator have a huge impact on house temperature. So why not make it easier to be really pedantic about it? Pretty simple mod anyone can do. Might work with more that just the Chinook 20.2.

If you're wondering why the protractor is a 180 and starts well below the lowest you would want to set the regulator. Well, it's because I don't want anyone thinking the Scale is in Degrees. Its not and should not be used like that. Any temperature they might set it, thinking its a temp scale will probably just shut off the stove. Safety first!.. But having a scale is super handy.

Also, made it WAY easier to see if I left the Bypass open by making a new handle.

20220216_175742.jpg
Wen Protractor you can get from Amazon and some small screws is all you need.

20220216_180545.jpg
Super nerd levels of adjustment.

20220216_184052.jpg
Plenty of clearance, 360.

20220216_184136.jpg 20220216_184105.jpg 20220216_184150.jpg
Nice visual warning.

20220216_184157.jpg
No visual warning. Super simple.

20220216_195034.jpg 20220216_200042.jpg

Might make it easy to keep track of and correlate what the settings do. I have an Ambient weather WS-3000 which logs outside temp, inside temp, and the temp of the cold air intake (crawl space). So if I keep track of the settings and time I might be able to calculate settings before I make them. The BK is really stable with it's thermostat which is awesome. Image if you could look at the upcoming temp at night and set the stove when you go to bed only to have it hit a specific indoor temp while you sleep.

I would do that with mine, I had a couple sharpie marks on the swoosh I would put it depending on what kind of heat output and burn length I wanted.
Lets just say, on my 2012, I have marks too. It would be even better if the dial was twice as large such as Brassaxe has done because as we all know, the tiniest little bump on that dial can have a pretty large effect.

Lets just say, on my 2012, I have marks too. It would be even better if the dial was twice as large such as Brassaxe has done because as we all know, the tiniest little bump on that dial can have a pretty large effect.
Its an $11 protractor. Took me under an hour, really easy mod. Just google WEN ME512P.

I may use you idea if I add a thermostat to my wood furnace Thanks!