Block off plate vs insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So I got some 'fire rope' for the gap around the liner between the block off plate. How do you secure the fire rope in place? I've seen some nice pics but have no idea how they secured it.

Installer is scheduled to finish out the install on Friday - just in time for summer!

So I got some 'fire rope' for the gap around the liner between the block off plate. How do you secure the fire rope in place? I've seen some nice pics but have no idea how they secured it.

Installer is scheduled to finish out the install on Friday - just in time for summer![/QUOTE
You should be able to stuff the rope gasket in the gap, it should be tight, and that will be enough to hold it in place. The rope should be a larger than the gap. If it is smaller than the gap, get larger stuff.

Install is finished minus the gap around the liner and my BOP piece that was designed to allow the liner to shift around while they install. They were a little pissed with me yesterday as I didn't have the BOP completely ready. However they didn't have the right elbow to get the liner into the stove so it was a wash on day 1. Allowed me to finish up the BOP and seal it all off with the high-temp gasket crap they gave me. On the up-side, the guy who did my install said I could make a ton-load of money building those things for all the installs he does. I have a hard time believing no one uses these and it's the first time he's seen one. He said it was very nicely done. I didn't get to take a pic
ibXtrMMsE8pQpyqu7
ture of it as I was mad as hell and the curse words were flying trying to get it installed while they stood around and impatiently waited.

The last thing remaining is the gap around the liner. 3/8" gasket rope is too small. He brought me some 7/8" but that was too thick. So I'm thinking maybe I can lash it around the liner and use a pipe clamp to secure it and that will be enough?!?

Today was 85 outside but they advised I fire it up anyway and let it burn in and cure the bricks and paint....so we did. Got up to 88 in the house with the doors open, ceiling turbine on full tilt....

Here's a video of the insert after about one hour. I loaded it with a small load and some kindling to get it going. It puttered along for about 45 minutes which the manual claims will happen with new bricks etc. So after those started to burn down I figured I would load it again and this is what happened. The damn thing went full bore. Not supposed to do that the first few burns according to the manual but I had no way to shut it down. The door and damper rod were full closed. I'm wondering if I have a defective damper rod...it seems to do nothing. I would like to be able to cut the air to this thing and slow the burn. It went to ashes after about 5 hours which is unacceptable.

Ok, figured out the runaway fire issue. See the handle in the picture, backwards!

Reactions: Ashful
Hi SterlingSL,

I am just beginning the journey of getting a liner in, insulating it, and creating a block off plate. Do you have any photos of your block off plate and installation you could share? Also any advice or lessons learned would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I didn't take photos of the block off plate. I was in a rush to install it once the installers showed up and they weren't happy that they had to wait around on me.

Definitely read this whole thread. I was gleaning advice as I went from the folks here. It worked out pretty well. I can answer specific questions if you have any.

mainerr, are you still looking at doing a free-standing, or an insert like SterlingSL? If free standing, I have photos of my block-off plates, but my fireplaces are a bit... unique.