Blower power intermittent, Majestic DV580 w/ Honeywell rf control valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fireplace_cursed

Dec 2, 2018
Colorado
We have a 17 year old Majestic/Vermont Casting DV580 propane fireplace with a Honeywell rf control valve. We have flame and no issues with the fireplace flame working or with gas flow, so now our concern is that there is something wrong with the control valve as the blower does plug into that as well as to a wall outlet. The control valve works with a remote to control both the flame and the blower speed.
The issues:
  • Blower power is cycling off and on in no particular pattern and for no apparent reason
  • Remote does control fan speed, it is not adjusting flame height.
Fixes tried:
  • replaced the blower to ensure that it isn't an issue with the motor
  • tested the outlet that the blower plugs into and it works great
  • inspected and cleaned all connections and two thermopiles (no thermocoupler on this unit apparent)
  • changed the batteries in the remote control
Thoughts aside from replacing the entire unit?

That is hard to do. he needs his manual with age of 17 years maybe the gas valve if its honeywell it will not be available any more but there are subs. If the gas valve is bad I would go to the simpliest operating valve made and eliminate everything else!

That is hard to do. he needs his manual with age of 17 years maybe the gas valve if its honeywell it will not be available any more but there are subs. If the gas valve is bad I would go to the simpliest operating valve made and eliminate everything else!

The model number of the gas valve tells a lot about the kind of equipment. The model number is typically plainly listed on the front of the gas valve, so it should be easy to obtain. He doesn't need the manual; on the equipment.

The model number of the gas valve tells a lot about the kind of equipment. The model number is typically plainly listed on the front of the gas valve, so it should be easy to obtain. He doesn't need the manual; on the equipment.
funny i couldnt read mine until I took it off. the way it was mounted all that was on top of the valve up against the stove! They are not that difficult to get off.