Breaking in a brand new Blaze King Princess 29 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Starclassic

Dec 8, 2021
Illinois, USA
Hey all, after doing tons of research we ordered a Blaze King Princess 29 insert to help heat our old historic home (Chicagoland, IL, USA). Originally was supposed to ship in October but due to supply chain issues, we only just received it this week. But thankfully we got it installed, and now I am about a day into breaking this thing in. I've read the manual thoroughly but still have some questions/observations, and hoping more seasoned owners can help me gain understanding.

1. The unit seems to be running way too hot. I've got small kids and was expecting the unit to be warm/hot but after getting a full load fully lit and turning down the air control to the lowest setting, the combuster/cat thermometer keeps hanging out at or above the Active range and the unit itself is burning to the touch (so I put a fireplace grate in front of the unit for now for safety reasons). The manual says to run the fan at the same setting as the thermostat (low/lo, mid/mid, etc). But I'm wondering if I need to just run the fan on High despite the thermostat being on low, to get heat out and away from the unit?

2. If getting the longest, most efficient burn isn't the goal, and we want to just enjoy some warmth and watch logs burn, should we just run the unit with the bypass on/open — is that what you all do? Is it okay to run the stove for an extended period of time with the bypass on?

3. We're also getting some very faint/shimmery smoke (not wood smoke) and a burning odor which seems to be part of the paint curing process. Hoping that is the case.

Any tips from those of you who run Blaze King or know these units would be welcome and helpful. This Princess 29 seems to be well worth the investment. I just want to make sure I have the right expectations and am not overheating/overfiring this thing. It seems like it may take a little bit to get it truly dialed in.

IMG_7869.jpeg

Hey all, after doing tons of research we ordered a Blaze King Princess 29 insert to help heat our old historic home (Chicagoland, IL, USA). Originally was supposed to ship in October but due to supply chain issues, we only just received it this week. But thankfully we got it installed, and now I am about a day into breaking this thing in. I've read the manual thoroughly but still have some questions/observations, and hoping more seasoned owners can help me gain understanding.

1. The unit seems to be running way too hot. I've got small kids and was expecting the unit to be warm/hot but after getting a full load fully lit and turning down the air control to the lowest setting, the combuster/cat thermometer keeps hanging out at or above the Active range and the unit itself is burning to the touch (so I put a fireplace grate in front of the unit for now for safety reasons). The manual says to run the fan at the same setting as the thermostat (low/lo, mid/mid, etc). But I'm wondering if I need to just run the fan on High despite the thermostat being on low, to get heat out and away from the unit?

2. If getting the longest, most efficient burn isn't the goal, and we want to just enjoy some warmth and watch logs burn, should we just run the unit with the bypass on/open — is that what you all do? Is it okay to run the stove for an extended period of time with the bypass on?

3. We're also getting some very faint/shimmery smoke (not wood smoke) and a burning odor which seems to be part of the paint curing process. Hoping that is the case.

Any tips from those of you who run Blaze King or know these units would be welcome and helpful. This Princess 29 seems to be well worth the investment. I just want to make sure I have the right expectations and am not overheating/overfiring this thing. It seems like it may take a little bit to get it truly dialed in.

View attachment 305859

A. I bought my son a fireplace gate the moment he told me I was going to be a grandfather. Do NOT allow children or people at risk near the hot surfaces. As a new unit (looks great by the way) the combustor will run a bit towards the upper range. This will settle down over time. Also, as you lower the thermostat setting, it is very likely the cat temps will increase, this being do to increased residence time of the gases going through the combustor. Perfectly normal. I run my fans on high when I lean the room or go to bed. When I want more hot air projected into the room, I run them on high as well. The PI29 fan is not the stronger in terms of air flow, but highly dependable. I would tend to run it more on high, but you'll learn what it is for your satisfaction over time.

A. NEVER run the stove with the bypass open expect during initial start up or during reloads. Doing otherwise could damage the stove and is not intended on how to operate the stove. If you want more flame, but not as much heat, load it up with more smaller diameter pieces. All the increased surface area will result in lots of lame but you have reduced the total Btu input. Then load really large piece and close it down for the longer burn times.

A. Yes that is normal. Often people will burn off the paint in the driveway a day or two before the install. But it will decrease as you burn it. Also, after several smaller fires, let it run on high for an hour and reaching peak operating temperatures will help cure the paint.

I'm glad you got it installed before this cold spell. Stay warm and have a Merry Christmas & Happy Holiday!

It's a metal box with a fire burning inside of it. Of course it is going to burn you if you touch it. Most kids and animals understand hot and know not to touch it. If not they touch it once and learn their lesson.

It's a metal box with a fire burning inside of it. Of course it is going to burn you if you touch it. Most kids and animals understand hot and know not to touch it. If not they touch it once and learn their lesson.
Exactly. My 18 month old son knows the word hot and i point to the fireplace and say "hot" he knows not to touch the fireplace ever. Even the oven

Remember kids often see the fire and understand fire is hot. But the surfaces of steel and glass can very extremely hot without a flame or as the fire dies out. The gates are huge savings over seeing a child burned.

Remember kids often see the fire and understand fire is hot. But the surfaces of steel and glass can very extremely hot without a flame or as the fire dies out. The gates are huge savings over seeing a child burned.
Wise words, and thanks for the reminder to get a fireplace gate on the way.

Beautiful bull you shot there as well. Roosevelt?

Wise words, and thanks for the reminder to get a fireplace gate on the way.

Beautiful bull you shot there as well. Roosevelt?
Thank you. Sent you PM with link to video. Bull was taken in 2021 Mill Creek Watershed Oregon side.

We had a gate at my sons house around his Princess to avoid any calamities.

I am on my 4th year with the Princess Insert and today it still runs differently depending on the wood species, outside temperature and the age of the combustor.

Any wood stove will be hot. It is a box with burning wood. The PI sticks out as an advantage to put convective heat into the room rather than just relying on the fan. So yes, put up the grate for safety, make sure the kids dont throw or toss combustible objects (blanket, stuffed animal, etc) at the unit when you are not there.

Give it some time to learn. You will probably find it satisfactory without the flame so long as it is putting off nice warmth over a long period. Make sure your wood is dry, I mean really dry, like 2 years or more dry.

You will smell some paint curing each time the unit reaches a new high temperature. That will stop after maybe a half dozen burns and you will be good to go. Light the fire, let it burn with vigorous flames till the combustor gauge reaches the active line. Close bypass and then turn down the thermostat maybe half way or so. Then after 15 min or so you can make micro adjustments based on how you want the unit to look or perform.