Brief Accidental Overfire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
We were having guests over this afternoon and I loaded up the stove, walked away, and got distracted. Long story short we noticed a mild version of that metal/chemical/paint smell you'd get with a new stove and I instantly knew what happened.

Thankfully it was only about 4 splits and only got up to 800-825 ish STT for no more than 15 minutes. The stove itself rates 840 as an overfire so given that it was a very brief time I'm not too concerned about the stove integrity. I'm wondering what we think the smell was?

I had two thoughts:

1. The new paint I applied this fall. It's SBI OEM metallic black so it's definitely rated for the heat. Perhaps it just was a little extra curing getting up higher than it's been?

2. Heating up of some sort of sealant/joint connection compound from the extreme flue heat. This is what I'm thinking it likely was... it's this concerning?

Once we realized what was happening I got it back to temp very quickly just opening the door and shutting down the secondaries/blower in high. The smell went away quickly. Again it was 15 minutes max being too hot.

Do you think it's anything to worry about or chalk it up to a learning experience? I definitely know better than to load and start something else. You're never too old/experienced to mess up/learn the lesson again though.

PS - it's burning fine now. No smell, secondaries working fine.

Look at the stove pipe for discoloration. What type of stove and pipe? It can happen quick. My best investment was a flue probe and STT magnet from Auber.

I have an Osburn 1600 insert so none of that is really possible for me unfortunately. Only thing I have is a STT and IR gun.

840 is probably ok for short times. Mine F400 was 900 pretty sure air defector was glowing (pretty sure but when it’s all secondary gates of hell it’s kinda hard to see) but the surface temp of the liner never got over 750. I watched this whole thing from loading thinking is a cold windy night let’s put the this big really dry REALLY sappy pine split in. To oh no air all closed and temps still going up. To @&@$ is &@&$ hot. Fan full speed temps still rising. Nothing warped no noticeable damage. Looked hard for air leaks and found a couple and fixed them. I recommend this AT200. With kids I’m constantly being pulled in more than one direction I have one on each stove. They hear the sound and know what to do.

That's scary and I would have had a heart attack..then before i dropped I would have called the fire department...Boy all these different type of stoves works so different and I think that smell was from your paint that you put on the stove...glad everything is okay now..that temperature gadget that lets you know is neat and so nice to have (ebs-p) good for you..clancey